The War of 1812
Causes of the war:
- Impressment continues - British block American ships to Europe (Blockade)
- Native Americans - Instigated by the british they attack the eastern borders of Louisiana.
- Tecumseh attempt to unite tribes in Indiana Territory to fight. - William Henry Harrison stops the rebellion at the battle of Tippecanoe.
- War Hawks - Henry Clay
- John C. Calhoun
~Encouraging war with Britain.
~ War for Americans honor.
~ Gain Canada.
- Invasion of Canada - Miserable failure.
- Naval Battles - "old ironsides" sinks British ships.
- American success.
- British blockade still a problem.
- Chesapeake campaign - British march through Washington D.C and burn down the white house.
- Francis Scott Key --> Star Spangled Banner.
- Southern campaign - Andrew Jackson.
- Battle of New Orleans.
Effects of the war:
- U.S gains respect as a Nation.
- U.S respects Canada as a British neighbor.
- Native Americans lose power and land.
- U.S builds a lot of factories (industrialize)
- War heroes arise - Jackson and Harrison.
- Strong feeling of nationalism.