Medical Emergencies

Signs/Symptoms and Treatment


What is it? is a small blockage in a blood vessel of the brain, which causes oxygen starvation to that part.


  • Sudden blurred, dim or patchy vision
  • Sudden dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
  • Sudden, severe, unusual headache

Treatment: Call 9-1-1 Reassure and comfort the victim

Encourage and facilitate the victim to move in to a position of comfort if possible. If they have significant paralysis, they may be unable to move themselves, so you should make them as comfortable as possible where they are. If possible, incline them to the unaffected side (if there is one), as this will help you relieve some symptoms such as a feeling of floating. Monitor ABC's.

Do not give victim anything to eat or drink


Low Sugar levels

Cause: Low glucose, excessive exercise, too much insulin, and vomited meal

Symptoms: dizziness, confusion, clammy skin, seizures, and rapid pulse

Treatment: Notify EMS

Read blood level

Give candy juice soda


  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Watery diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and cramps
  • Fever


  • Ensure the scene is safe to enter
  • Check for consciousness and breathing
  • Care for life-threatening conditions
  • Collect evidence about the possible poison ask questions if the victim is conscious
  • Call the National Poison Control Center Hotline @ 1-800-222-1222
  • Follow the directions given by the Poison Control dispatcher
  • Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink unless instructed by the Poison Control dispatcher or EMS personnel.
  • Continue to monitor ABC's and care for life threatening conditions


  • Don't bother insects
  • Use insect repellant
  • Wear protective clothing
  • Be careful when you eat outside because food attracts insects


  • Wash the area well with soap and water
  • Apply an ice pack or a wet compress to the area
  • Take over-the-counter pain medicine, if needed
  • Consider using antihistamines for severe swelling
  • Seek medical treatment for small children and adults with severe symptoms (Administration of antivenin by a medical professional may be needed to prevent nerve and skin damage.)
  • Monitor and treat for shock if necessary.


The stings of some forms of marine life are not only painful, but they can make you sick, and in some parts of the world, can kill you.

Symptoms: allergic reactions that can cause breathing and heart problems, as well as paralysis and death.

What to look for: ■ Possible puncture marks. ■ Pain. ■ Swelling. ■ Signs of a possible allergic reaction.

Treatment: If you know the sting is from a jelly fi sh, irrigate the injured part with large amounts of vinegar as soon as possible for at least 30 seconds. This can help to remove the tentacles and stop the injection of venom. Vinegar works best to offset the toxin, but a baking soda slurry also may be used if vinegar is not available.