Do's and Don'ts of Email
a guide to the etiquette of electronic mail
Things you should do when using email
- Do summarize long topics. Use bullet points to note the key points or the message.
- Do stay on subject. Be brief and to the point about your topics, avoid long messages.
- Do answer in a reasonable time frame. Answering fast shows you care about the subject and want to be on top of things.
- Do check over your email before you send it. Silly grammar mistakes make it seem like you don’t really care about the message.
- Do use a signature that includes contact information. In your signature include your preferred contact information so the recipient knows how you want to be contacted.
Things to avoid when using email
- Don’t use long sentences. If you make your email very long it appears hard to read and long run on sentences are very annoying to try to understand so don’t use long sentences because email is supposed to be a short way of communication. See what I mean about the long sentences.
- Don’t reply to spam. When you reply it shows you use your email and you will just receive more spam.
- Don’t write in all caps. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU ARE YELLING WHICH CAN BE FRUSTRATING TO READ.
- Dnt use abbreviations in ur e mails. It makes u seem lazy and is not proper.
- Don’t avoid face to face contact because of your email. Email is to be used for when you can’t meet up with someone, not a reason not to.