Bringing the Classroom Alive with Technology
QuizletLive Brings Collaboration to Vocabulary Review!
The ever-popular Quizlet.com has recently added a new "live" game function that takes the thousands of Quizlet flashcard lists and makes them into a collaborative live-time group activity. Teachers with Quizlet accounts can use lists they have already created, and teachers who are new to Quizlet can sign up for a free account and then search for flashcard lists by topic. STAAR and AP subjects have many lists that have been created by other teachers in Texas and around the world. If you find a list that you like but want to edit, you simply copy the list into your account and edit the cards with your changes.
QuizletLive Game Play
- Choose your list and then click on the purple button on the right that says LIVE.
- Then click on the blue button on the right that says CREATE GAME.
- With your projector on, the game will now display a JOIN CODE.
- Have students go to https://quizlet.com/live and then type in the JOIN CODE.
- They will need to type their names.
- When all of the students have joined the game, click on START GAME.
- The game will automatically group the students into groups with animal name titles. They need to take their devices with them as they quickly re-group around the room. A 10-count countdown helps students do this part quickly.
- Once kids are grouped, start the game.
- A graph will appear with the team names and their progress for the whole group to see.
- Each group will get the same term, but the group members will have different cards (definitions.) So, the groups must talk to each other to find which group member has the definition that works. When the group agrees on an answer, the team member with that card clicks on it.
- If the wrong card is chosen, the group resets back to zero. The correct answer is also shown to all the group members before they are shown a new card.
- The first team to get all 12 cards correct first is declared the winner!
- The top missed cards will be displayed at the end of each round and the teacher will be given the option to "shuffle teams" or to keep the same teams together for the next round.