What's up in 2D!
Weekly happenings in the life of a second grader
February 14th- Class Valentine's Party
February 14th- 1st and 2nd Grade Clusters Begin
February 17th- No School for Students! Staff Work Day
February 21st- 6 Flags Reading Forms Due
On February 14th, we will celebrate Valentine's Day with two special activities!
The first activity will be a class pizza party during lunch with just our class. If your child would like to have pizza with us, please send in $2 cash to cover the price of pizza, a juice box and a cookie. Make sure to put the money in a labeled envelope so it doesn't get mixed up or lost! If your child would prefer to not have pizza, please plan to send a disposable sack lunch.
This is also when we will be exchanging valentine cards and we will need a special place to put them! Your child's at home project will be to decorate a bag or box for our valentines. Please make sure your child has an opening in his/her bag or box big enough to fit small cards/trinkets. Students can start bringing these in to school on Wednesday, February 12th. Your child is also welcome to bring in valentines for each student in our class, but I am unable to send home a class list due to confidentiality.
The second activity will be our class party! Stay tuned for more information to come from our fabulous room moms that are working hard to plan our party in the afternoon on February 14th! Parents are welcome to join us for the afternoon party!
2. We will not laugh at or make fun of a person's mistakes nor use sarcasm or put downs!
3. We will use good manners saying, "please," "thank you," and "excuse me," and allow others to go first.
4. We will cheer each other to SUCCESS!
5. We will help one another whenever possible!
6. We will recognize every effort and applaud it!
7. We will encourage each other to do our best!
8. We will practice virtuous living using the life principles!
The Life Principles
2. Effort -doing one's best in an endeavor. Ask your learner if they are giving their best effort at school!
3. Compassion: ability to share another's feelings or ideas.
4. Respect - paying proper attention or showing consideration to others.
5. Common Sense- thinking before acting, using good judgement.
6. Self- Discipline- the ability to choose and control one's own actions.
7. Friendship- caring for and trusting others
8. Problem Solving- creating solutions or finding answers to a problem.
9. Forgiveness- act of forgiving for an offense; pardoning
10. Justice- being fair and upholding what is right
You are a genius and the world needs your contribution!
Here's what we need to KNOW!
Math: This week we are focusing on timelines. Students will use timelines to determine duration. We will also be working with associating times with daily events.
We will continue to sharpen our skills in addition, subtraction and multiplication as the year continues.
GTI students will be completing their passion projects that they started at the beginning of the year. They will be making appointments to share with the class what they have learned.
Here are some good websites to try at home for math skills.
Division math fact fluency - http://www.learninggamesforkids.com/math_division_games.html
Feed the monster - http://hiphiphooraymagazine.com/math/math%20facts%20monster.pdf
Science: Last week the students concluded that air is BORING! This week students will be exposed to some experiments involving air. Hopefully we can change their mind about air being boring with the balloon launch activity!
Language Arts: We are wrapping up our middle of the year testing for language arts. Students will be taking their MAP test, the online assessment, this week. This will give us more information on the growth of each individual student as well as goals for improvement.
This week the patterns are 'ph' and 'dge'. We will work with each pattern throughout the week and Friday I will ask students to spell words containing that pattern. The activity on Friday is only practice and will not be part of a grade.
GTI students will continue their book clubs and begin a product to show their learning throughout the book. Students will also be working on their Passion Project during this time.
Social Studies: The topic of the week is government. Students will learn about government leaders and ways the government impacts our community!