September 2022 Sunflower Patch
Headlines & Happenings at Sunflower Elementary
August & September Dates to Remember
27-Sunflower Girls on the Run Sign Up
- Girls on the Run registration is this Saturday, August 27th at 8 am
- Practice days are Mondays and Thursdays from 3:15-4:45
- Season runs from Sept. 12th - Nov. 5th
- End of the season 5K is November 5th.
- Team space is limited and our team fills up fast.
- If you have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Register HERE
5 - Labor Day - NO SCHOOL
22 - Picture Day!! Remember to SMILE!!
It’s been exciting to have kids back in school! With a couple of weeks of the new school year under our belts, we thought this would be a good time to remind parents of the importance of calling the school the morning your child is absent if your child will be not be in school that day. Here are some important tips and reminders:
- If your child is going to be absent from school, please notify the school before 8:30 am THAT SAME DAY. This will prevent the school from having to mark them as an unexcused absence.
- It is best practice to notify the school via email. Please email your child's teacher along with the attendance clerks in the front office ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) to let them know your child will be gone and how the absence should be marked (ill, out of town, etc...) To avoid a call from the attendance-dialer, be sure to include the office-attendance in your correspondence. When you use the above email address for attendance, the office attendance clerk and Mrs. Kinaman, our school nurse receive the email.
- When you contact the school, if you anticipate an extended absence, please note length of the absence then be sure to send a doctor’s note upon your child returning.
- If you are not able to email, please call the school at 913-294-8040.
Your partnership in notifying the school the day your child is absent, will help the school prepare for your child’s absence in organizing their missed work. It will also help families avoid unnecessarily receiving an unexcused absence letter from the school outlining state truancy laws. (Although, state truancy laws are important for families to know: An unexcused absence in Kansas is when a parent does not notify the school of their child’s absence that same day. When a child has 3 consecutive unexcused absences, 5 total unexcused absences in a semester or 7 total unexcused absences in a school year, the child is considered truant by Kansas state law and the school is required to report them as such).
Thank you so much for your continued partnership in making this a great school year!
Arrival & Dismissal!
Morning Drop Off
Please pull as far forward as possible when dropping off in the morning. Do not leave big gaps between cars. Students should not exit vehicles until 7:30.
1-8 Drop Off Spots
Please utilize all 8 drop off spots. Please have students exit vehicles as quickly as possible when in spots 1-8.
Breakfast is served 7:30-7:55. Students must arrive in their classrooms prior to 7:55 to eat breakfast. School starts at 8:05.
Morning Drop Off
1-8 Drop Off Spots
Please make sure your child's iDismiss number is visible in the passenger window. If someone else is picking up your child, please make sure they know your child's dismissal number.
It is ALWAYS best if your child knows in the morning how they will be getting home that day. However, if you must call in a change, please call BEFORE 2:00. We must have parent notification.
Stay in Vehicle
Please stay in your vehicle during drop-off and pick-up. During pick-up, your child will walk to the numbered spot they were assigned and wait for you. Thank you for keeping our students safe and not pulling forward during pick-up.
Box Tops for Education
Sunflower Shoe Box
Sunflower is putting together a "shoe box" to loan shoes out to students that forgot to wear tennis shoes on PE days.
1) Good, used tennis shoes (washed first please) that will fit Sunflower Students!
2) If you know what size they are, please use a permanent marker to mark the size on the back of the heel so that the student(s) are able to find a pair of shoes in their size quickly!
3) A few pairs of shoe laces in case a student's breaks.
SHOES WILL BE SANITIZED AFTER EACH USE.
Donations may be dropped off in the office.
WELCOME BACK TO SUNFLOWER ELEMENTARY – LET’S STAY CONNECTED
The faculty and staff look forward to a positive and productive year at SUNFLOWER ELEMENTARY!
There are many ways to stay connected at Sunflower Elementary. It is important that you connect in all three ways if possible.
· Infinite Campus (Web Browser & App)
· Panther Alerts
Information on each of these communication tools can be found below.
The success of any educational institution depends on the support and cooperation between parents, teachers, and students. All of us must work together as a team to provide the best education program for our students. We look forward to working with you and your child this year.
INFINITE CAMPUS (IC) App
There are 2 versions of the IC App available for download in the iTunes App Store and Google Play. They are Campus Parent and Campus Student. To use the Campus Student or Campus Parent apps, mobile devices must be on an Android version of 4.4 or later and iOS devices must be on a version of 9.0 or later.
Parents - Sign up for IC to receive emails & texts from your child’s teacher & school.
NEW account? Trouble logging in? Email email@example.com (put IC in the subject line). If you signed up at Cottonwood, you will use the same account for Sunflower.
Students & parents have different login pages.
1. Click the INFINITE CAMPUS box above.
2. Choose Campus Parent or Student.
3. Enter Username & Password provided by your school.
4. Click LOG IN
Anyone - Sign up for Panther Alerts. Click on the box above. These are generic texts for all patrons, but not student specific.
Anyone - Click on the above box and LIKE our Facebook page. You'll get up to date events, information, news, pictures and videos of what's going at Sunflower.
Parents-Sign up for IC to receive emails & texts from your child’s teacher & school. NEW account? Trouble logging in? Email firstname.lastname@example.org (put IC in subject line). If you signed up at CW, you will use the same account for Sunflower.
Giving the Basics
NEEDING HELP? Giving the Basics (www.givingthebasics.org) is a free program available to USD #368 students that provides the necessities of life, not covered by government assistance programs, that most people take for granted such as laundry soap, shampoo, deodorant and other personal care hygiene products.
Giving the Basics distributes products to more than 140 organizations and 350 schools, including USD 368, making the basics accessible to 250,000 people monthly.
We also have resources available to help families with school supplies, school clothes or food items. If you need assistance, please contact Lisa Wilson, Sunflower Social Worker.
Celebrate your child’s birthday by donating a book to the Sunflower Library. Click on the above box for more information.
We are glad to share in the educational experience of your children. We want you to know what we are all about at Sunflower Elementary. We have prepared a set of videos to help you get to know the programs and activities at Sunflower Elementary.
Community event flyers will be posted on the district's webpage instead of going home in student backpacks. If you would like your event posted, please contact the district office @ 913-294-8000.