Leading the pack in education
February 26 End of the 4th Six Weeks
February 29 Science Canyon in Outside Gym for 1st-5th; all PE meet in Inside Gym for specials
February 29 No meetings, grades are due in Skyward by the end of day on March 1st
March 2 Dr. Suess Birthday Dress Up
March 2 2nd-5th Grade Math CBA
March 3 2nd-5th Grade Science CBA
March 3 House awards put in by end of the day (see below)
March 3 Dairy Queen Night 5-8 PM
March 4 Special House Celebration
March 7 House Meeting
March 7 Vertical Team Meeting
March 7 PTA Board Meeting 6:30-8:00
March 8 4th & 5th TELPAS in the Lab
March 9-11 5th Grade and Mr. Wamsley @ Camp
March 11 Professional Development Day: Brenda will be here to preview Science
March 11 Texas Legends Night: Frisco 5-7
March 12-20 Spring Break
House Celebration Points
Please double check all students in your homeroom to make sure they are on this sheet and in the correct house (right click on the number by their name and add a row above to create a line for a new student).
Please have this completed by the end of the day on Wednesday the 2nd, so I can send the final copies out on Thursday to review. This process takes me about 5 hours, so it is critical that the Wednesday timeline is met.
At our team facilitator meeting last six weeks it was decided that magnets were not going to be passed out at the house meeting, but instead passed out in the home room because teachers wanted to recognize their students. Students will still be honored in their houses as usual and teachers can come up to the office to get any magnets they need.
Recess and Quiet Zone
As testing time comes closer for 5th grade it is important that we all do what we can as a team to help them out. It will be a huge help if you could use an alternate route other than passing their classrooms to go to and from the playground. It creates significant noise in the classrooms when the door is open to have students enter or exit the building. The red area is the absolutely no talking zone. If students are playing outside, please let them know they need to stay away from this area and there should be no noise close to the building.
Get out the Vote
This Tuesday is "Super Tuesday" for the Primaries...
Early voting for the Primary has began. Public Education has never mattered more!
Time will be provided if you need to go to the polls to vote this Fall and it is very important you consider the Primary as this is where 90% of the decisions are made.
I cannot tell you how to vote, but you can learn about the candidates' positions on public education for themselves at the following site.
- TeachTheVote.org. Teach the Vote looks at education issues only; does not endorse candidates; and presents voting records, candidate surveys, and relevant third-party endorsements.
With the redesign of the school finance system and overall school funding levels hanging in the balance, it is critically important that the 700,000 Texas educators, administrators, para-professionals, and school employees make their voices heard.
It's no secret that public education has enemies. There are some powerful people who would love nothing more than to defund and dismantle our state's greatest public benefit, the public education system. That's why groups representing teachers, administrators, school boards, businesses, pastors, and more than 900 independent school districts, have come together for the first time in an unprecedented way to implore you to take action.
We are asking that every superintendent and principal in the state join the TexasEducatorsVote effort to ensure nothing less than the highest education turnout the state has ever seen.
What can you do?
Begin by telling your teachers and other school employees to Go Vote (during the first week of early voting), and continually stress the importance of voting in the primary throughout the voting period.
- Send out a district wide call for all educators and other school employees to go to TexasEducatorsVote.com and fill out the voter pledge. As a district you cannot promote a candidate but you can and should vigorously support this important get out the vote (GOTV) effort.
- Ensure that every campus and district employee is given time during the workday to go to the polls.
- Texas Election Code Sections 276.001 and 276.004 ensure employee access to the ballot box.
- We suggest picking a day during the first week of early voting and setting the goal for every ISD employee to vote on that day.
- Encourage employees to go together and provide district transportation. There is no legal prohibition against districts providing transportation to and from a polling place for employees.
- Work with your campus PTA/PTO to provide volunteers who can help cover classrooms while teachers vote.
Technology Spotlight Saturday March 5th
- Learning+Fun+CoolPrizes....Spring Digital Learning Conference is on Saturday March 5 from 8:00-1:30 at the BCTAL.
- Remember to check out Symbaloo under resources on the digital learning webpage:http://www.birdvilleschools.net/Page/37445. Find your grade level's info by clicking on your grade on the far right side of the page.
- Check out Tika Talk for another easy way for students to create books. Jeff sent out info for login.
- Want to try the SMARTboard but don't have time to look for resource or make them. Check this out for more student interaction on the board: http://www.uen.org/3-6interactives/lang_arts.shtml for grades 3-5 and http://www.uen.org/k-2interactives/index.shtml for grades K-2
TAGT on Demand
TAGT On Demand is now open for teachers who are interested in getting started on their annual 6-hour update for 2016-2017. If there are teachers who did not complete their 30-hour or the 6-hour update for this year, they may also continue working on that task. District guidelines require that it be completed by December 31 each year, but the logins BISD paid for will be available until June 30. Please finish hours for this year as soon as possible. Courses are being posted in Workshop as quickly as possible once teachers submit their certificates to Katie Waldrip.
Pictures of Students
If you would like to add picture to the digital sign just upload the pictures to the following folder:
Reminders and Focus
Our security fence has started and will be finished in 2 weeks. The gates will be locked during school hours and can be opened by your key. During the school day (7:30-4:00 on none Aspire days: 7:00-6:00 on Aspire days) these gates are to be treated like an exterior door. Adults and teenagers should not enter these and should go through the main doors, even at dismissal.
- Our goal is to be level 3 (or moving close to it) in most areas on the district rubric for TEKS centered teaching. I have seen many great examples of students interacting with the TEKS in class. Be sure to not only post them, but have discussions so that students understand the goal of their learning.
- Continue to build strong, positive relationships with all the students. Smile often. Choose to see the good and positive. Focus on growth and celebrate often. Nothing is more helpful in the learning process than the effects of trust and joy.
- PLC's should be meeting weekly to answer the 4 questions. Common Formative Assessments should done after mapping out the six weeks, then planning for learning should take place. If you need any support in this, please contact our coaches, Erin, and myself.
- Rigor, relevance, and engagement strategies should be focus on when planning student learning tasks.