Discovered by Johan Gottlieb Gahn
- Classified as a metal
- Added to steel and removes oxygen and sulfur from steal increasing its maleability and strength. Makes steel strong enough withstand the constant pressure of trains in train tracks.
- Gives glass a *amethyst color (*amethyst, a clear purple color)
- Manganese dioxide is used in dry cell batteries
- 90% of manganese products are involved with steel products.
- 0.14% of the earth's crust is made of Manganese dioxide
Melting Point: 1519 K
Boiling Point: 2334 K
Density: 7.3 g/ cubic centimeter