Lucy's Library Blast
December 7, 2015
Hour of Code Week!
Hour of Code is an opportunity each December to introduce and reinforce coding with students. There are a ton of resources out there. Here is a listing some excellent ones:
- Code academy is in Clever, which is found under MyMNPS. It should automatically log in the students but if not, the log in is: firstlastname and ID for password.
- Anybody can learn at Code.org. https://code.org/
- International Hour of Code https://hourofcode.com/us
- Tynker Blog http://www.tynker.com/blog/articles/ideas-and-tips/whats-new-for-hour-of-code-2015/
- Women of Star Wars https://code.org/starwars (watch the Inspire a Girl video, it is awesome)
- Minecraft Code https://code.org/mc
- Computer Science Week https://csedweek.org/educate/hoc
- Hello Processing http://hello.processing.org/
- Khan Academy https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/hour-of-code/hour-of-drawing-code/v/welcome-hour-of-code
- Microsoft Imagine https://msdn.microsoft.com/imagine/imagine-home
- Apple Learn to Code, Change the World http://www.apple.com/retail/code/
- W3schools http://www.w3schools.com/
This link takes you to a really cool interview with the lead coder for Minecraft... https://studio.code.org/s/mc/stage/1/puzzle/1
This link takes you to a Smore developed by Robin Coultras, which you can share with your students... https://www.smore.com/mbwqd
This link takes you to a Symbaloo page that another librarian in the district developed... http://westmeade.symbaloo.com/mix/codingfun2
If you can't access the laptop cart, schedule time in the library to introduce coding.