Kingsmen Parent Newsletter
My City, My School, My Family......NCM!
Week of January 10, 2022
We apologize for a lengthy email, but we have important safety news to share.
We are excited to welcome your student back to in-person learning as we begin Semester II. As always we want to do this in the safest manner possible. With the resurgence of covid cases, the State Department of Education and the California Department of Public Health are strongly recommending that all students test prior to returning to school. We need your support to comply. On Friday, January 7, from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., we distributed home covid test kits for your students at National City Middle School. Please administer the home test on Monday, January 10th. Instructions were provided, please ensure you record your child's results as well.
If you were not able to obtain your student's covid test kit, we have a limited number. Please stop by the office and bring your child's ID card. You can receive one for a NCM student and up to two for any siblings at the high school or elementary district. Also National School District will be distributing covid test kits from their district office on Monday. You can also obtain a kit for your NCM student there.
Please keep your child home for any of the following situations and notify us so that we can initiate a plan of instruction for your child.
· Your child tests positive
· Your child is symptomatic
· Your child has been exposed to a covid-positive person within the last week.
Tuesday, January 11, is our first day of semester II. We will be distributing locator cards for students as some class changes were made. Student's class schedules will be provided to students during Period 4. An email was sent to your student and to the person we have as the primary contact on Sunday evening providing your child's first classroom. During period 4, your child will receive their Semester II Class Schedule. In the past, we used posters and students would find their first class. Due to covid mitigation efforts, we do not want students to congregate in groups and are discontinuing this practice. Please check your email or ask your student to check their email on Sunday evening to know which classroom to report to period 4.
Masks will continue to be required in all indoor facilities. The CDC has recommended that cloth masks no longer be used. Instead, it is recommended that disposable 3-ply surgical masks be used. We ask that you help support our efforts in ensuring your child wears this mask. We will be asking anyone to replace their mask if they are wearing a cloth mask.
Did you know that weekly covid testing is available at National City Middle on Thursdays for your student?We also want to remind you that National City Middle, in a partnership with San Diego State University, offers weekly covid testing on Thursdays. Testing continues to be an effective tool to stop the spread of the virus. We urge your participation in this free weekly service to ensure the well-being of all students. To participate, we need you to complete a consent form for your child. The consent form will take about 5-10 minutes to complete. SDSU is conducting a study, no individual student results will be released, the study will be explained to you when completing the consent. Here is the link to submit your consent. If you need help completing the survey, please email the following individuals. They will set up an appointment with you to assist you.
For assistance in English - Mireya Ramirez
· Phone: 619-336-2600
For assistance in Spanish - Doralicia Real
· Phone: 619-336-2624
Once we have your consent, your child will be asked to take a test during PE. This will only take a few minutes. If any student is positive, we will communicate with the family. If the test result is negative, no communication is given, but your child can let you know he/she was tested.
Our aim is to focus on the well-being of all students and faculty to ensure that we can continue in-person learning for all. This is a joint family and school effort and we urge everyone's participation.
We continue to appreciate your trust and support of our school efforts.
Faculty and Administration of National City Middle School
Schedule for the Week of January 10, 2021
Parent Training Series Coming Soon!
Please click here for details: Link to Flyer
Register in advance for this meeting: Link to Registration
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
We hope to see you there! Please contact Doralica Real via email for further information. Email: Doralicia.Real@sweetwaterschools.org
Give Kids a Smile No-Cost Dental Services Coming Soon!
Give Kids A Smile 2022 is taking place February 14 – March 7 throughout San Diego County. Please click here for the flyer.
- Children ages 18 and under can schedule a dental screening, fluoride varnish, and sealants at NO COST.
- Fluoride varnish and sealants are painless and help prevent cavities.
- Children can get a Kindergarten Oral Health Assessment completed.
- Appointments are required. Offices have limited spaces available.
- Children can schedule an appointment at any listed dental office.
- Click on https://sdcds.org and then click ‘Parents and Families’ to see the list of participating dental offices.
- There are about 40 participating dental offices throughout San Diego County. They are being added to the list as they confirm dates and times for their event. A more comprehensive list will be available in January.
- This is a no-cost event. Children can participate if they do or do not have insurance and do not have to show proof of citizenship.
- Families can call 619-692-8858 with questions.
PLEASE DO NOT WAIT TO MAKE YOUR APPOINTMENT.
COVID Testing Opportunities
Click here for the link to sign up your child: https://sdsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_e36y9ODfnFGEUUC
Daily Health Screening Reminder
Our school community which includes students, parents, community members and NCM staff are expected to self-monitor and not to enter school facilities if symptomatic or experiencing a fever.
If students are sick, please keep them home and report the absence to our Attendance Technician at 619-336-2608.
Thank you for your cooperation.
*****Resources for Parents*****
Set Up Your Parent AR Account
Do you want to know your child's reading level range?
Create your parent account in our Accelerated Reader online program to support you child with improving their reading skills! See sign-in instructions below, titled "Parent Notifications-Home Connect."
Home Internet Support is Available!
*****Parent Center Information*****
If you have any questions, please contact us! If you would like to offer input into the policy or compact, please contact Juan.Gonzalez3@sweetwaterschools.org.
*****NCM is on Social Media*****
COVID Safety Protocols
- Masks are required indoors, not outdoors.
- All visitors are required to wear a mask when entering campus.
- Parents are encouraged to health screen their children prior to sending them to school.
- Children with a fever or not feeling well should be kept home.
- Social distancing will be encouraged with all students.
- Cleaning protocols are in place for frequent sanitation of facilities.
The student handbook provides an overview of NCM including schedules, staff contact information, calendars, policies and programs.
NCM Bell Schedules for the current school year. Please see the school calendar for specific days.
*****NCM Contact Information*****
Student & Parent Center
Title I Resource Teacher: Teresa Walkup
Community Relations Facilitator: Doralicia Real
Bilingual Tester: Blanca Juarez Saenz
Before & Afterschool Program- Lion's Den
- Students enroll online using the link below.
- 150 students are permitted in the program. We are full but accepting students and placing new applicants on a waitlist.
- Before School Hours: 6:40am-8:10am
- After School Hours: 3:10pm-6:30pm
- Program runs everyday school is in session!
- The earliest a student can leave is 5:00pm with an early release form signed by the parent.
Please click on this link for more information https://forms.gle/VzcyvKGQjdMR2AXF8.
If you have specific questions regarding the afterschool program, please contact Alejandra Mondragon, our program coordinator.