Thirteen American Colonies
Magna Carta - 1215
1. How did the Magna Carta influence American government?
It served to inspire and justify action in liberty's defense. The colonists believed that they were privileged to the same rights as the English, the rights in Magna Carta. They established those rights into their states and later in the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
2. The Fifth Amendment to the Constitution
English Bill of Rights - 1689
1. What is the significance of the English Bill of Rights?
The English Bill of Rights is an English forgoer of the U.S Constitution Bill of Rights.
2. What influence did the English Bill of Rights have on our government?
The influence on our government were the protections of the First, Second , Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, and eighth Amendments.
Virginia House of Burgesses - 1619
1. The fact that the burgesses could make their own laws was very much on the mind of many people in the American colonies.
2. They both have a place to meet and make laws
Mayflower Compact- 1620
1. What is the significance of the Mayflower Compact? It was the first written framework of government establishing self-government.
2. What was the purpose of the Mayflower Compact? To prevent non agreement between the Pilgrims and Puritans.
Fundamental Orders of Connecticut- 1639
The Orders provided election of our governor. This body had lawmaking, executive, and judicial power.
1. What is the significance of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut? It expanded voting rights.
2. How are the ideas of the Fundamental Orders of Connecticut similar to our government today? They both formulate Laws, Rules, Orders and Decrees to guide civil affairs