4th Grade Parkside Elementary
Thursday, September 15th, 2016
- Coming Soon- Information Sheets and Permission Slips
- Grandfather Mountain and Linville Caverns $85 per child
- Chaperones needed- cost $85- Complete this form if interested in chaperoning http://tinyurl.com/pschap
Math Place Value
- we continued to learn that each place value is 10 times greater than the one to the right.
- we reviewed how to write numbers in standard, expanded, and word form
- compared numbers and ordered numbers up to the millions place value
- rounded numbers using a number line and by lining up the place values
- We will continue learning how round numbers up to the millions place value
- Use different strategies to add and subtract larger numbers
Please begin to start having your child review their basic multiplication facts. These facts will become very important to our units starting in 2 weeks. If you have a few minutes in the car or in the grocery store line, quiz your child on their facts. Feel free to make a game out of it and have fun. ;0)
4th Grade Literacy -Characters
- using a new acronym FAST, we spent some more time analyzing characters (Feelings, Actions, Sayings, Thoughts)
- continuing with vocabulary/Word Work (students only have homework if they don't finish their classwork)
- students have been working in teacher led and independent groups
- Word Sort Assessment on Friday
- analyzing the PLOT of a story (using the setting, problems & solutions, major & minor events)
- learning how to summarize SWBST
- new Word Sort
Brag Tags for Positive Behavior
The brag tags are kept at school and will not go home until the end of the school year.
Brag tags are earned when the teacher notices an accomplishment choice, or behavior that exceeds expectations.
Brag tags can be earned for 100% on a test, helping others, good listening and more!!
Behavior Expectations Using Leader in Me!
Agendas serve as daily communication between school and home They are VERY important!
Please check agendas daily.
Students use agendas as a checklist, homework, assignments, and project planning.
Leader in Me!
Agendas are needed to reinforce positive student behaviors.
Communication between school and home has a direct impact on student learning.
Leader in Me is used school wide including lunch and special areas.
All students begin each day on green/Ready to Lead. Each block begins with your child on green.
Students can move up and down on the chart based on their choices throughout the day.
Up = Positive Behaviors
Down = Poor Choices
Orange - Think Sheet will be given for students to fill out and bring home for a signature, alternative recess activity.
Mark your Calendar
Week of Sept. 19-MAP Testing
Tues., Sept. 20-Donuts for DADs (Dads come join our Parkside Men's Group)
Thurs., Sept. 22-Curriculum Night (2 sessions: 6-6:45 & 6:45-7:30 in case you have 2 children in different grade levels)
Fri., Sept. 23-Parkside Football Night at Mallard Creek High School
Mon., Sept. 26-Spirit Night @Tijuana Flats 5:30-8:30
Thurs., Sept. 29-Picture Day & Progress Reports go home