July Updates for HAW Families
From the desk of Mrs. Cantrell, Director
"Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August." - Jenny Han
Greetings HAW Families!
It sure has been a busy summer at HAW! From building improvements, to safety upgrades, to brand new cafeteria tables, we are just about ready to welcome our BEARS to the 23-24 school year. I am so excited to begin this new year and to catch up with all of you. My office gets so quiet and I miss you all.
Please know that communication is extremely important to me. Once we have our new families entered into our information system within the next few weeks, you will notice that we use K12 Alerts to communicate through text, email, and phone throughout the year. We also post a weekly newsletter to our Website. In addition, teachers also use communication APPs and newsletters to keep you posted on classroom specific updates. With that, it is important to keep your contact information current. Reach out to Mrs. Ada Gallegos, our amazing registrar, to update your phone, email, or address at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continue to check our Website for more updates as we get closer to the first day of school. Our calendar, student and parent handbook, dress code, supply list, and cafeteria information can be found there. And please know that my door is always open to you.
This year, breakfast and lunch is free for all students regardless of income. But, we need your help. We ask that all families complete the free and reduced lunch application as this will help give us an accurate count and report in order to receive the maximum funding available. The link will be updated soon and we will send an announcement once you can enter your information. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
We will send registration information for both our morning care program and our CREW program (after care) in separate links within a few weeks. Both programs charge a fee for this service.
Save the date! Come and meet your child's teacher, get to know our staff and other families, and stay for a little fun sponsored by PTO. Our Meet and Greet will be held on August 3. In order to accommodate our growing community, please use the following as a guide. Last Names A-L come between 9:00-11:00 and Last Names M-Z come between 1:00-3:00. Our goal is to eliminate large crowds and no more standing in line. Feel free to bring school supplies too. More information about the specifics of the day coming soon!
Thank you for choosing Horizon Academy West Charter School. This is going to be the best year ever. GO BEARS!
Mrs. Carissa Cantrell
Director (and Principal and your Partner in Education)
Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO) INFORMATION and GET INVOLVED!
Donna Predika - President
Liz Rodriguez- Vice President
Yvonne O’Malley - Treasurer
Tiffany Segura - Correspondence Coordinator
Adria Gurule - Communications Coordinator
What's Happening in Our Building? (Hint, LOTS!) 🏫
New cafeteria tables
Ready for some yummy lunches!
New classroom flooring
Ready for some serious teaching and learning!
Secure front entrance
Updated security for our community!
Parent Resources 👩👦
(All the Things You Might Be Wondering)
- Class Lists will be finalized closer to the Meet and Greet. Now is a great time to submit your registration so your child can be placed.
- School Hours are 7:45 am to 3:30 pm.
- The School Calendar is posted on our Website for your convenience.
- Our handbook is posted on our Website for your review. We will have you digitally sign the acknowledgement form in August.
- Our enrollment has increased and so has our traffic. Patience and respect is expected at arrival and dismissal. New procedures and a visual map will be sent before the first day of school. We encourage car pools and can help you find families in your neighborhood.
- Supply Lists are posted on our Website. Know that some teachers may request additional materials. If you are in need of assistance, please email our Dean of Students, Mrs. Andrea Gallegos, at email@example.com.
- All visitors and volunteers will need a state-issued ID with picture when checking in at the front office or checking your child out for the day.
- All volunteers will need a background check to work in the classrooms and attend field trips. This process just changed with the state provider and more information will be provided as soon as we know more.
- K-5 students wear uniforms (Khaki bottoms and navy polos). Check out the handbook for specifics. If you need assistance, please email our Dean of Students, Mrs. Andrea Gallegos at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call the office to report your child's absence 998-0459 and listen for the attendance line prompt.
Dates for Your Calendar (Kindergarten - 5th grade)
Aug 7: First day of school (7:45 am - 3:30 pm)
September 4: Holiday, No School
A Director's Life (in Pictures!) 😎
Fun with the Jeep
Hit the Jeep trails in Moab. I was a little scared (ok, a lot scared). But, so much fun!
I know, don't remind me. But, this year is their year! (Fun fact, I lived in Indianapolis for a few years).
They live in St. Louis, MO and I love them more than my 3 kids (just kidding). But, it is so fun to be a Grandma.