May 9 - 13
All In, Mt. Gallant!
How We Win:
- Building and sustaining relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Improving our core instruction in the areas of Guided Reading, Lucy Calkins' writing, and Number Talks.
- Personalizing the MGES experience and learning for each child
Happy Mother's Day!
We took my mom to lunch and sat around telling stories... at my expense. She loved it! We also celebrated a new family member. It's true, I'm an uncle. My sister has a new pup. Meet Diem.
Odds & Ends
- I'd like to formally welcome Jessica Morrison to the Mt. Gallant staff! She will join us full-time in 2016-17!
- Our new partnership with USK Martial Arts is paying off... big time. Amy, the owner, is donating a scholarship to each of our students! These scholarships and USK's contributions to Health Day and Field Day have a combined value of $80,000! Amy will be here Friday to take photos with some of our students.
- Our final Terrific Kid program will be held on May 25. This is our last ceremony for the year so please think about a student you feel really deserves this recognition. Click here to enter your nomination by Friday, May 13.
- Science Benchmarks - K-2 - Benchmarks are in Leonard's office. Let her know when you're ready for them. You will not have to input data this quarter.
- Science Benchmarks - 3-5 - Benchmarks have been added to the grade level Canvas courses. You should have received an email with the passwords. The window is May 9 - May 27.
- Be sure to read Lisa's section. The R2S course will be offered to us FREE and I believe it's online!
Reading Coach's Corner
Special thanks to all who donated books to our collection for the museum's Earth Day Birthday Celebration!
Keep up the good work with end of yr reading assessments! Feel free to contact me with questions/concerns regarding specific students if you need a second opinion.
Please visit the State Dept's site to determine your status/timeline for acquiring the R2S teacher endorsement. Remember, we have a total of 10 yrs to attain this! Every school in our district will have an opportunity to take the Reading & Writing in the Content Area course for FREE next school year. The only details I have at this time is that it will be a 7wk online course taught by a State Dept. Reading Specialist only for our school during our appointed window. (Our specific window has not been announced yet.) I highly recommend you take advantage of this opportunity next school year. Teachers with a Masters degree in Reading will need to complete a Change/Action form in order to attain their endorsement.
Vicki will come to your room for Computer Lab.
- 3- 5 MAP Continues
- 2:45 - Faculty Meeting: Placement Cards and Math Essentials
- Spirit Night at Shane's Rib Shack 5-8pm
- Happy Nurse's Day! Thanks, Barb, for ALL you do!
- Knights Doing It Right - Send when you see KNN message
- SC PASS (Online Sci and SS) begins for grades 4 and 5 in computer lab
- PST - See MGES Calendar
- Museum of York County Reception for First Grade Students - Dinosaur Project
12-12:30 = Clontz and S. Baker
12:45-1:15 = K. Baker and Nichols
- First Grade 4H
- Post PLC Minutes in Canvas
- USK Scholarships Awarded!
- TK Nomination Due
- Knights of the Round Table and Gallant Girls - 1:45
11 - 27 - SC PASS for students in grades 4 and 5
17 - Dental Van
19 - PTA 3-5 Dance from 6 - 8pm
19 - Last day students can check out books
20 - No School
25 - Grades Due
25 - TK Ceremony @ 8:30
26- iPad Roll-in
27 - Knights of the Round Table & Gallant Girls Field Trip
27 - Music during lunch - Bassoonist
30 - No School
31 - Field Day
1 - Fifth Grade Promotion at 8:30am
2 - Kindergarten Promotion at 8:30am
20 - Assessment Conference
21 - Assessment Conference