May 8, 2022
New Wildcats in the House!
Mr. Chris Audsley
Mr. Audsley will be teaching HS Math (Geometry, Algebra 2, Stats) next year. He will also be the Head Football Coach and Assistant HS Boys' Basketball Coach. Welcome, Mr. Audsley!
Welcome to our newest Wildcat Faculty Members! You can check out available positions at SlaterSchools.net
Mr. Aric Falls
Mr. Falls will be teaching Elementary & HS PE next year, including HS Body Conditioning Classes. He will also be an Assistant Football Coach and Assistant HS Girls' Basketball Coach. Welcome, Mr. Falls!
Mr. Chris Audsley
What is Baccalaureate?
Attendance is not mandatory, but is strongly suggested - this is something that the community comes together to provide for our students as a way to wish them well. These are the same people that sat in the rain to watch outdoor sports, packed the gym (and even wore masks to do so), attended the 7:00 am send offs, and are donating their own money to fund local scholarships. I'm encouraging you to show your thanks by attending this hour-long event.
Those attending should arrive by 5:45 pm and should wear your cap and gown. You will sit together as a class with a formal processional and recessional.
Let me know what questions you have.
If you're ready to write your note before the board is ready, you can drop your note off in my office. (And if you need an index card, I'll have them on my table.)
Here's our game plan:
TBA: Wildcat Walk (?)
8:15 - 9:30 am: Graduation Practice (Seniors, Band students)
10:15 am: J Clem/Seniors have exit discussion
11:44 am: Lunch
12:30 pm: Pop Assembly
2:00(ish): Senior Send Off
8:15 am: Graduation pics with LeeStudio
10:15 am: Baseball leaves for Harrisburg
12:00 pm: Varsity Baseball v. Salisbury
6:30 pm: Seniors to Library
7:00 pm: Graduation
Post-Graduation: Meet at Concession Stand to collect diplomas, return Life Academy cords
Seniors/families may purchase pictures from LeeStudio. For Friday pictures, please wear your cap/gown, nice clothes, nice shoes. You may hang your cap/gown in the Library afterwards if you wish. It's $20 for two 5x7s and eight wallets. Add $5 if you want a copy of the group photo as well. Ms. Barb has envelopes in her office. You don't have to purchase a package, but everyone will take a photo.
Wednesday, May 11 is School Nurse Appreciation Day - Thanks for all you do, Mrs. Mullins!
Do You Need New Threads?
Hey all you Wildcat Fans, need some new gear while you’re cheering in the stands?
Check out our FanCloth shop to get you ready for the upcoming sports seasons!
All purchases made will support the Lady Wildcat Basketball Program!
Each week, I'll highlight an entry from the handbook that has come up in the past week or something that will be coming up soon. The handbook is posted on our website, slaterschools.net - and there's a link/button further down the newsletter.
This week's topic is: GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
Students must meet all district graduation requirements per BOE policy IKF to graduate. Graduation requirements and grading scales for a student with a disability(ies) may be determined according to the students Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Participation in the commencement ceremony is a privilege and not a right. Students must be in good standing and have no outstanding balance on school accounts to participate in graduation or promotion ceremonies.
Take a minute to let me know all about it by filling out THIS FORM.
Students, Parents, and Staff can give a shout out to any Slater Schools employee! Check out our Live Feed at slaterschools.net and our social media to see the Staff Shout Outs so far, and thanks to those who have submitted some!
Use the Time You Have
If you are allowed to go during class time, be prepared to leave your phone with your teacher.
Other measures will be implemented soon, but I want to discuss them with teachers before putting them in place.
Lunch Line Woes
We have one person recording numbers, and the task is overwhelming in itself. In an effort to ensure that all who want a tray have time to eat it, Mrs. Mullins has asked us to have all students getting a la carte or Grab & Go items to wait until those getting trays have made it through the line.
...and, there's an ice cream purchase limit of one frozen treat per day.
Beginning Monday, the enforcement of the following topics will be universal throughout the HS:
- Phones: No phones are to be out once you're in the building, unless it's lunch time. If your phone is out, the following protocol will be applied (this information has been in the WILDCAT ROAR since January, under 'LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK' in Old Business): ...your teacher will have you put your phone in an envelope that you will write your name on. You will then bring it to the HS Office, where the referral will be entered. As you read last week, if it's your first offense you can collect it at the end of the day. If it's your second (or more) offense, a parent/guardian must pick it up from the HS Office. Detentions are assigned from the third offense on.
- Absences: When you are gone (even if it's for a school trip), it is your responsibility to get the work you missed from your teachers. It is your responsibility to comply with your teachers' policies regarding collecting and turning in work assigned while you were gone. This information has been in the WILDCAT ROAR all school year. You can revisit it under 'SO YOU'RE IN HIGH SCHOOL NOW' in Old Business).
- Disrespect: One of the HS staff's goals for our students is to make sure that each one of you has the skills to be successful after graduation. Being respectful to others is a critical skill. Besides that, it's what decent humans do - and the adults in the District deserve it. There's no excuse for being disrespectful. Pro tip: If you can't be kind and/or respectful, be quiet.
- Defiance of Authority/Insubordination: It's March. You know the rules. If you don't follow them, you'll be written up. This goes for many things, including:
> Hoods - No hoods in the building during school hours.
> Hats - No hats in the building during school hours.
> Food in classrooms - Food is ok during WIP time (breakfast in the morning and pre-practice snacks in the afternoon). Beyond these times, it is not okay. Food that is brought into classrooms will be thrown away and you'll be written up.
> Teacher space - Students are not to be at or behind teachers' desks without the permission of the teacher.
- (NEW) Air Pods/Ear buds: Beginning Monday, air pods/ear buds are not to be worn except for during lunch. If you would like to listen to music while you work, wait for your teacher to indicate that it's ok. At that point, you may access music on Pandora or Spotify through your Chromebook. This information is also in 'LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK' in Old Business.
We'll review these policies during WIP on Monday. When you arrive, please get your breakfast and report to the gym. You'll have time to get your Chromebooks before you go to your first hour class.
Louder for the People in the Back
You are able to access SoundCloud, Spotify, and Pandora from your Chromebooks if you want to listen to music while you work. (Wired earbuds are available in the HS Office for $2/pair.)
If you do violate the rule, your teacher will have you put your phone in an envelope that you will write your name on. You will then bring it to the HS Office, where the referral will be entered. As you read last week, if it's your first offense you can collect it at the end of the day. If it's your second (or more) offense, a parent/guardian must pick it up from the HS Office. Detentions are assigned from the third offense on.
The only exception to this is for meetings supervised by staff members.
So, You're in High School Now...
If you don't follow their policy and miss the window to turn work in, it's on you, not them.
Keep in Mind
- When you're sick, please stay home.
- If you are showing any COVID symptoms, please stay home.
- If you (or anyone in your household) has been tested for COVID, stay home until you receive a negative result - or clearance to return from the Health Department.
If you will not be at school, we ask that you - or one of your adults - calls the HS Office to let Ms. Barb know by 8:30. The HS Office phone number is 660-529-2278, ext. 107 (Ms. Barb). You can also email Ms. Barb (email@example.com) or me (firstname.lastname@example.org).
2021-22 Reserved Parking Spots
Community Resources Available
Sunday, May 8
6:00 pm - Baccalaureate at Life Church (Seniors arrive by 5:45 pm)
Monday, May 9
TBA - Golf Districts
9:30 am - Admins/Counselors/Burrell Meeting
5:00 pm - Varsity Baseball v. Glasgow
Tuesday, May 10
8:00 am - Senior Grades DUE
5:00 pm - Baseball v. Madison
Wednesday, May 11
School Nurse Appreciation Day
7:50 am - Softball Interest Meeting w/Coach Senor
8:00 am - Admin/Counselor Meeting
5:30 pm - FBLA Banquet
6:00 pm - FFA Banquet
Thursday, May 12
8:15 am - Graduation Practice in Gym
9:30 am - Senior Brunch
10:15 am - Seniors have Exit Meeting with J Clem
12:30 pm - Pop Assembly
2:00 pm - Senior Sendoff
6:00 pm - NHS Induction
Friday, May 13
8:00 am - ALL Grades DUE
8:00 am - LeeStudio takes Senior Graduation pics
12:00 pm - Baseball Districts @Harrisburg (Team dismissed @10, Bus leaves @10:15 am)
6:30 pm - Seniors to Library for Graduation prep
6:45 pm - Staff to Library for Graduation procession
7:00 pm - Graduation
Saturday, May 14
TBA - Track Sectionals
Monday, May 16
9:00 am - 12:00 pm - Wellness Walk
Tuesday, May 17
Wednesday, May 18
11:00 am - HS Awards Assembly
12:08 pm - Dismissal
~ Have a great Summer! ~