Stop the Racism
By: Secret Life of Bees Group
Precautions of standing Up to Racists
Buy the "Stop the Hate" t-shirt now!
Questions for Lily
A: I personally think they matter just like mine matters. Just like anyones matters. Black people are no different from me. Sure they may look different than me, but we still have the same emotions and we still feel the same things.
Q: How was racism a problem for you growing up?
A: My father T-Ray always made mean comments about black people. Black people where always taken advantage of, when they shouldn't be. I was taught that black people where not people white people wanted to be around.
Stop the Hate
More Interesting Research:
- African-Americans comprise only 13% of the U.S. population and 14% of the monthly drug users, but are 37% of the people arrested for drug-related offenses in America.
- In 2010, the U.S. Sentencing Commission reported that African Americans receive 10% longer sentences than whites through the federal system for the same crimes.
- In 2009 African-Americans are 21% more likely than whites to receive mandatory minimum sentences and 20% more likely to be sentenced to prison than white drug defendants.
- In a 2009 report, 2/3 of the criminals receiving life sentences were non-whites. In New York, it is 83%.
- A survey in 2011 revealed that 52% of non-Hispanic whites expressed anti-Hispanic attitudes.
"11 Facts about Racial Discrimination." N.p., n.d. Web
3. The top five most racist states in America. "Most Racist States in the U.S." N.p., n.d. Web."
~"There was an ice storm a couple of years past 2010 or 2011 if I recall, a lady hit black ice and slide to the rail. I a Black male from California and she a White woman from Mississippi. This lady screamed "N***** get away pulled her hand gun pointing in my direction. I laughed as she sat there bleeding from the lip."
~ "Welcome to the real world in the USA racism is alive and well and most don't care if you are from Africa or Asia, If you are a person of color in some places you are not wanted and if they have the opportunity. They will make you disappear really go and be careful"
~ "I'm a native Texan and proud one. But I do have to say Texas isn't all that. I've seen how crewel people can be and just how nasty they are. I myself haven't really experienced it but my family has. I really can't point out any experiences myself but I do know and I've seen it happen plenty of times across the state"
~ "I am white. I live in Memphis, TN. I have been beaten by black people because I am married to a Black person and have 3 "Black" children. They have refused to believe my biological children are mine on occasion. I have had my home targeted for vandalism and theft by Black people who had a problem with me having more than them. I have been asked to leave a grocery store because I made the other shoppers uncomfortable by being the only white person in the store at the time."
~ "Most definitely very racist. There are still seperate proms at the school from which I gradauted. I will make sure that my kids are not raised in this state."