Corruption in law enforcement
Where is the line between law enforcement and corruption
Background info on corruption in law enforcement.
- Police corruption is a problem effecting countries around the globe.
- Law enforcement corruption is when a law enforcement officer violates your human rights for any reason.
- Corruption in law enforcement is connected cruel and unusual punishment in amendment 8 in the U.S Constitution.
- Police misconduct can result in fatalities and injuries mentally and physically
- Thousands of police misconduct complaints are filed each year in the U.S
Causes of Corrupt Law Enforcement
- An averige patrol Office in the U.S makes roughly $57,770 anualy. Only $5,000 over the U.S averige per capita.
- The Power givin to officers can "go to their heads" and cause them to harass people.
- Police officers can violate peoples rights do to poor training in how to handle situations.
- Some offices are much larger in size that the person they are handaling, and might accidently hurt them while trying to incapacitate them.
- Officers affected by PTSD or Post Tramatic Stress Disoarder can react in harmfull or violent ways in different situations.
Effects of Corrupt Law Enforcement
- Rioting of people trying to have their voices heard.
- People Physically and mentally abused.
- Businesses and people getting ripped of or stolen from.
- People having anxiety or PTSD do to them being abused.
- Officers getting fired making the force more weak.
Examples of Police Corruption
- Baltimore Officer takes cash to protect drug operation.
- UC Davis Students sprayed with pepper spry during peaceful protest.
- Mexico government fires around 3,200 officers.
- In 2007 officers steal drugs for own use.
- A Hispanic man was pulled over for no violation and forced to have a full body exam for drugs, but none where found.
How I feel
- Police corruption is a horrible thing.
- I feel Police officers should carry surveillance cameras.
- Police Officers should go under investigation if even suspicious of any crime.