Farewell to Manzanar
THE BOOK AT A GLANCE
Farewell to Manzanar is a "true story of a Japanese American family’s struggle to survive as a family while coping with life in an internment camp during World War II"
(Holt, Rinehart, and Winston).
GAINING PRIOR KNOWLEDGE
TASK: COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS WITH YOUR GROUP AND PUT YOUR FINAL PRODUCT IN A GOOGLE PRESENTATION. #8 IS INDEPENDENT.
2) Why were internment camps put in place as a result?
3) Who was placed in internment camps?
4) What was life like for individuals living in these camps?
5) When and why did these camps end?
6) What was life like after being released from these camps?
7) Watch the following clip:
Discuss and list 5 aspects of internment camps that you view as being unfair and
8) Using the following pad let: http://padlet.com/rachelthompson0/xdgzbojooqhr
Post an image of internment camps that stands out to you. Above the image, include
your name and come up with a title for the image. Hint: everyone will google "internment camp." Think outside the box for a fresh perspective :-)