On the Road
By: Milani Vanniyasingam
Fatal car accident on Parramatta Road
According to the police investigation, The driver is a 20 year old while the passenger was a 19 year old both drunk. The accident happened around 4:30 am on a Sunday morning. The driver was driving at 150km/hr on a 80km/hr road. Speeding was the main cause of this accident but due to the 20 year old getting himself very drunk with also a drunk passenger led up to this fatal accident.
Causes of road accidents
Top 3 causes of car accidents:
- Speed driving - Speeding is on of the greatest cause of death and injuries. About 40% of fatal accidents happen because of speeding.
- Use of mobile phones - texting while driving also causes a lot of car accidents. Looking down and typing keeps the driver distracted and thats what causes accidents.
- Drunk driving - According to studies, driving while under the infulence of alcohol results in not being able to focus on the road and this issue causes car accidents.
Consequences of unsafe road use behaviour
- injury or fatality
- losing loved ones
- guilt of killing a passenger or pedestrian
- loss of licence
- loss of vehicle due to crash or consequences
- loss of demerit points
Actions that could be taken by individuals to prevent accidents
- Don‘t speed - it‘s always important too keep up to the speed limit and not to drive over speed.
- Obey traffic rules - traffic rules have been created for drivers to obey them for safety purposes.
- Wear seat belts - a statistic has been revealed that about 68% of accidents have been caused due to not wearing seat belts.
- Always look out - look out for people crossing the road especially children.
- Take all the road/safety signs seriously - road and safety signs have been placed on roads for a reason. You should always follow them because signs let us know if there's an accident, speed limits, slippery roads, etc.