Desert Sage Elementary Newsletter - October 8, 2021
2021-2022 Student Council Officers
- President: Allison Z.
- Vice President: Abbie K.
- Secretary: MacKenzie M.
- Treasurer: Chloe K.
Autumn Class Celebrations
If you are interested in supporting your child's teacher with autumn celebrations at the end of the month, please reach out to them as soon as possible to begin planning with them.
Desert Sage Calendar
Click on the item listed for the day for more information about the event.
Fall Parent Teacher Conferences
It is time to schedule your child’s fall parent/teacher conference. Below is a link to our scheduling program you will use to make your conference appointment. Conferences are being held the week of October 18 through October 22. Evening conference appointments are being provided on Wednesday, October 20. All fall conferences will be held virtually through Zoom. Once you have scheduled your conference appointment you will receive confirmation that includes the Zoom link for your specific conference date and time. For confidentiality purposes, please do not share this Zoom link information with anyone.
Conference appointment scheduling link: CLICK HERE
Tips for a successful parent/teacher conference:
It is important to be timely to your child’s conference as teachers will have conferences scheduled back-to-back.
Prior to the conference, write down any questions you may have about your child’s academics, behavior, classroom routines, expectations, etc.
Have your child’s report card with you to refer to during the conference. (Report cards will be sent home on Monday, October 18 with students.)
If more time is needed at the end of the conference, ask the teacher to schedule an additional conference time.
Desert Sage is Hiring
Substitutes: (as needed)
- Crossing Guard Substitute (2 hours/day)
- Playground Monitor Substitute (2-2.5 hours/day)
- Inside Lunch Monitor Substitute (2-2.5 hours/day)
If you are interested in applying to join our team call the Desert Sage Secretary at 623-445-4704 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Desert Sage PTO Membership Drive
Becoming a member supports the PTO's goal to help support Desert Sage teachers and staff through parent involvement, volunteerism, fundraising, and community events. By supporting our teachers and staff we help to create a better school for all Desert Sage students.
PTO Membership: $15 per family
"Chews" the PTO and purchase your membership today here: PTO Membership Drive Sign-Up
The primary (PreK-2nd) and intermediate (3rd-6th) class with the highest membership, will receive an ice cream party.
I Spy PLC
PLCs are busy this month. Grade level teams are taking a close look at their students' end of quarter grades to determine possible whole group and small group reteaching needs. Every two weeks, DIBELS progress monitoring scores are being analyzed in order to revise intervention (RTI) services by grade level teachers and the reading specialist. Intermediate grades are analyzing writing scores from the district narrative writing submissions done at the end of September. Additionally, teachers are routinely reviewing your student's DreamBox Math and Amplify Reading online program data. This assists them with assigning future online lesson work and identify additional standards in need of support. Wondering how your student is doing on DreamBox or Amplify? Simply email your student's teacher and they can provide you a report with their progress at any time.
If you would like more information about PLCs, please visit our DVUSD PLC website.
PTO Fundraiser Results
- Goodwill Donation Drive: $458 & we gave back to the community by passing on our gently used items!
- Panda Express Dinner Night: $854 & lots of yummy in our Gecko tummies!
Thank you for your participation, generosity, and everlasting support of Desert Sage! We look forward to you joining us at all of our future fundraiser and family events.
- It is recommended that items such as pencils, stickers, erasers, etc. be provided for birthday treats if the parent chooses. (Items must be delivered to the classroom at least 4 days prior to the day to be handed out, to maintain the 4 day quarantine practice for health and safety standards.)
- The ONLY food birthday treats that can be given at Desert Sage is the DVUSD Birthday Buckets ordered from the DVUSD Food and Nutrition Department. Food and Nutrition ensures that all dietary restrictions and allergies are accounted for within the classroom. For more information or to order contact our school Cafeteria Manager at 623-445-4714. Please be sure to place orders at least 2 weeks in advance of your child’s birthday.
- If food items are brought in for a birthday treat they will not be given out to the students. The food will be sent home with the student at the end of the school day.
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, October 8: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 9: Last day to order fall pictures online. Visit https://www.dorianstudio.com/ & search Desert Sage Elementary-Glendale, AZ
- Monday, October 11 & Tuesday, October 12: No School, Fall Break
- October 18-22: Virtual Fall Parent Teacher Conferences
- Thursday, October 21 & Friday, October 22: Dismissal at 12:05 p.m.
- Friday, October 29: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
AZ School Tax Credit for Desert Sage
Your school tax credit donations can provide Desert Sage students with opportunities to after school and summer programs, field trips, music and athletic programs or any other extracurricular activity.
- The Arizona tax credit program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows a tax credit of up to $200 for individuals and up to $400 for married couples, filing jointly, in support of extracurricular activities.
- The tax credit reduces your tax burden to the state of Arizona, dollar for dollar.
- This year, AZ tax credit dollars can help us purchase needed capital items as well if donated to the general fund.