Trailridge Parent Update
MAY 9, 2021
Upcoming Dates to Note
- Week of May 3 - Teacher Appreciation Week (See PTA Section for more details)
- SPRING MAP TESTING Week of May 10 - Math Testing through Math classes
- Wednesday, May 12 - PTA General Meeting 7:00PM
- Wednesday, May 12 - School Nurse Appreciation Day
- Monday, May 17 - Physicals - at SMNW 6-8:00PM (See information in section below)
- Tuesday, May 25 - Honors & Awards Night - Virtual
- Thursday, May 27 - Last Day of School - Early Dismissal
Note from Matt & Jeanette
Greetings Wildcat Families!
This week was teacher appreciation week and it was awesome celebrating our wonderful teachers. We truly appreciate the support our parents provided through the week celebrating them as well. It was a fun filled week and our staff and students were awesome!
On May 25th we will celebrate some of the wonderful student accomplishments throughout the year at our Honors and Awards Ceremony. As with most things this year, due to COVID, the honors and awards ceremony will look and feel different. This year’s ceremony will be a virtual celebration and the link will be sent out the evening of May 25th. As this year has been untraditional and challenging in many ways, this year’s honors and awards ceremony will primarily celebrate our students character traits and development. In addition, we will also celebrate some of our students’ academic achievements. The format may look and feel a bit different this year, however we are hopeful that in the future we can return to our standard awards ceremony.
As we have all year, we truly appreciate your support as we finish the year strong. Hope you had a great weekend.
Matt & Jeanette
- Week of May 10 - testing in Math classes
This test can be taken at home for our Remote Learners.
Here is a great piece of information for parents about how MAP testing works and what it measures:
Tell them not to stress . . . just do their best!
Please let me know if you have any questions!
- REMOTE: This club will be a way remote students can connect every Wednesday after school until 4:30. Come join the fun and play games! Join the following WebEx: https://smsd.webex.com/meet/jenniferadkins
- IN-PERSON: This club will meet on Wednesdays after school in Room 109 with Ms. VanDyke!
- This is an in-person club on Tuesdays in the Library!
FOOTBALL CLUB: April 26-May 20 (SMNW Football Coach will be leading the club.)
- GROUP A will be on Mondays & Tuesdays
- GROUP B will be on Wednesdays & Thursdays
- 3:45-5:00PM (this is a CHANGE in ending time)
- You will need to bring a signed waiver. (see image below). Students were given a copy of the waiver if they were interested.
- Location of Club: Trailridge Soccer Fields
Are you interested in starting a club?? Let us know and we will help you!
Physicals . . . so you're ready for next school year at SMNW or TR!
Shawnee Mission Northwest will hold a Physical Night on Monday, May 17, 2021, for those athletes wishing to get a head start on the 2021-2022 sports season. The physicals, which will be given in the basement of the school, by the training room, will be offered from 6:00-8:00PM.
Students interested in taking advantage of this great opportunity are encouraged to come early.
Please remember the following:
- Cost: $25 (Cash or Check--Make checks payable to "SMNW DTBC"). No Credit Cards accepted.
- If attending you must wear a mask when entering the facility.
- Those attending physical night should enter through Door #13, in the southwest corner of the building, up the ramp. Upon entering you should walk straight ahead to the stairwell and go down the stairs and follow the signs.
- Those waiting in line will be expected to keep proper social distancing.
- Student-athletes should pick up physical forms in advance. Student-athletes should have parents fill out all sections of the packet (and make sure all parts are properly signed prior to attending the physical night) so after completion of the physical student-athletes can turn the physical form in to the athletic department who will be on site if you are going to SMNW OR turn it in to Trailridge.
- Students may also secure a physical form from the athletic website at SMNWCougars.com and hover over the "MORE" section and then go to "FORMS" and print off the appropriate packet. (Trailridge students can get the form from the Trailridge office.)
- Any questions contact Mrs Horseman in the athletic office at SMNW at 913-993-7400.
If your student is having technology issues when trying to log into a class, please have them contact the school WHEN they are having those issues so we can assist. (913) 993-1000.
If you do not have internet access or need assistance with internet access to assist with your child's learning, please contact the office at 913-993-1000.
Also, quite a few kids are coming to me with problems that relate directly to the fact that they still haven’t updated to Catalina. Here’s a video to show them how. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I2qJI71UuJS4mkmBY-QamPDIOdMAlm4P/view?usp=sharing
~Susan Schank, Librarian
From our STUDENT SERVICES TEAM
Hello Wildcat Families,
As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to your Student Services Team with any specific concerns for your student or your family: https://sites.google.com/smsd.org/tmsstudentservices/home?authuser=1
Our padlet is also available to browse for Johnson County Resources:
Thanks so much!
Elisabeth Johnsrud, 7th grade counselor
Kristin Warner, 8th grade counselor
Vicki Canady, Social Worker
Please contact the Nurse if:
- The parent or student has been exposed to someone who tested positive for Covid-19.
- Student has tested positive for Covid-19 so that we can more closely monitor quarantine and isolation to keep our students and staff healthy with the start back of hybrid education for second semester.
If you have questions regarding COVID-19 and your student, please contact our school nurse, Darla Denny at 913 993-1007.
ATTENDANCE IS IMPORTANT!
INFORMATION ABOUT TRUANCY
The administration of Trailridge may begin to request documentation for all absences after the 10th absence in a school year. Absences without a doctor's note or administrative approval may be recorded as unexcused. A student with three consecutive unexcused absences, five unexcused absences in a semester, or seven unexcused absences in a year is considered TRUANT according to Kansas State statues. A truancy report may be filed with the Johnson County District Attorney's office.
Attendance Line: 913 993-1012
If your child is going to miss a class for an appointment or any reason (whether in-person or remote), please make sure you are calling the office to let the attendance clerk know. This is important so that we can excuse the absence.
HOMEWORK HELP CLUB & LATE BUSES
Here is the WebEx link: https://smsd.webex.com/meet/brittqualls
In-person Homework Help Club is available every day after school except Fridays! A late bus is available. Students will meet in the MPR from 3:45-4:35 to work with teachers.
LATE BUSES will be available for any student who stays after for Homework Help or any other after-school activity that ends at 4:35.
FREE meals for ALL students
Meal pick up will continue on Fridays from 6:30-7:45 a.m. at all schools. Food service provides free meals to students regardless if they are in remote, hybrid, or in-person learning. This includes breakfast and lunch meals. Meals provided cover the days the student is not in-person learning (including weekend meals). You will receive a week's worth of breakfasts and lunches when you pick up each Friday!
Pick up day is each Friday from 6:30-7:45 a.m.
We will be transitioning to a different pizza soon due to manufacturer challenges. The stuffed crust pizza that is a favorite of our students has been discontinued for the remainder of this school year. We will continue to have pizza on our menus. The new items will be added to SchoolCafé for nutrient and ingredient information. We appreciate your support and apologize for any inconvenience this will cause.
When students are in person, any extra ala carte purchases the students will need to have money on their food service account.
Please contact the Food Service office with questions at (913) 993-9710 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The school breakfast and lunch menus, pick up meal information, and other nutrition information are available on the district’s website at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service.
PLEASE APPLY FOR FREE/REDUCED MEALS if you haven't already done so . . .
We encourage families to continue to apply for free and reduced meals in the event the funding is no longer available by clicking here. Qualifying may allow for other support through the district so it is important to continue to apply for free and reduced meals.
SUMMER “PICK UP AND GO MEALS” FOR CHILDREN STARTING JUNE 3
Hunger does not take a vacation in the summer time. Free meals will be provided to all children ages 1 to 18 at four school sites in the Shawnee Mission School District. This includes breakfast and lunch meals. The meals are funded entirely by USDA as part of the Summer Meal Program.
Dates: June 3 – July 29, 2021 (closed 7/5/21 for holiday)
Pick up on Mondays & Thursdays
Time of pick up: 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Comanche Elementary, 8200 Grant St., Overland Park
East Antioch Elementary, 7342 Lowell, Overland Park
Rosehill Elementary, 9801 Rosehill, Lenexa
Shawanoe Elementary,11230 W 75th St., Shawnee
Pick up & go meals include breakfast and lunch:
Monday (3 days of meals) & Thursday (4 days of meals)
Hot lunch entrée provided on day of pick up.
No advance ordering needed.
Children must be present to receive meals. Contact Food Services for a voucher if special circumstances prevent a child from being present in the car at the time of pickup.
Meals will be available for pick up outside the school front drive.
Meals will be placed on a table for individual pick up.
An adult accompanying children may pick up the meals for each child without all children needing to exit a
Please follow social distancing and wear a mask when coming to the table.
Meals are prepared by District Food Services staff and distributed following food safety and sanitary practices.
Meals are available to anyone ages 1-18. Children do not have to be students in the district.
SMSD will offer free, in-person lunch to students enrolled in the Summer Academy, Summer Enrichment and Extended School Year programs. Lunch is available only to students enrolled in these programs. The free lunches, funded entirely by USDA, will provide a hot entrée with choice of side dishes.
Menus and additional information available at https://www.smsd.org/about/departments/food-service/summer-meals. Menus are subject to change due to availability.
Contact the Food Services Department with any questions at 913-993-9710 or email@example.com.
Information below about SMNW Summer Baseball Camps:
Middle School Summer Weights - at SMNW
Any incoming sixth, seventh or eight grade student who is interested (male or female) is encouraged to sign up.
We will be offering 21 sessions from 11:00 a.m-12:00 p.m. on the dates stated on the registration flyer below. This summer weights and conditioning will help to promote (1) safety, (2) proper technique, (3) offer opportunity to improve strength and conditioning and (4) take home ideas for fitness that can be done even at the conclusion of the summer session.
Coach Sedrick Cook, one of our assistant coaches will be in charge, along with several other coaches (male and females) who will be visible to introduce themselves and familiarize with our upcoming Cougar family.
If questions please feel free to the Athletic Director at SMNW: Angelo Giacalone.
Our PTA is very active in supporting students and staff at Trailridge through grants, assemblies, student activities and celebrations, and more and while our events and activities will undoubtedly look different this school year, our commitment to supporting our students, staff, and families is as strong as ever! Please consider joining and getting involved in your Trailridge PTA as we find new and creative ways to support our students, staff, and families in 2020/2021!