An Overview of the Decade
U.S. Presidents & Key World Leaders
Bill Clinton served as president for the rest of the decade. He endorsed a health care reform, but was not successful. His biggest accomplishment as president was leading the U.S. through a time of economic prosperity.
Saddam Hussein was the president of Iraq during the 1990's. In the early part of the decade, Hussein attacked the small country of Kuwait. The U.S. sent forces into Kuwait after their deadline for Iraqi forces to leave Kuwait was ignored.
Key Laws Passed/Supreme Court Decisions
Both of these laws helped created more equality in the workforce:
- Disability Laws (1990)-Allowed employees to be able to keep their jobs if they got hurt.
- Civil Rights Act (1991)- Allowed equal employment. Couldn't discriminate based on gender and race.
- St. Mary's Honor Center vs. Hicks- Hicks was fired and he accused his work place of racial discrimination.
Wars of the 1990's
The Cold War finally came to an end in 1992 after the Soviet Union fell in power.
In 1993 a bomb was set in a parking garage at the World Trade Center by terrorists.
Music: Music was beginning to change as the decade went on. Many groups started to become popular. Popular singers include: Paula Abdul, New Kids on the Block, and Whitney Houston.
Athletes that were popular in the 1990's include:
- Michael Jordan- famous African American basketball player
- Tiger Woods- African American golf player
- Wayne Gretzky- hockey player for Oilers
- Deion Sanders- NFL
Neon and Denim were very popular in the 90s.
Track suits were popular because they were comfortable.
This was one of the most popular hairstyles in the decade