Teacher Breakout from Institute Day
By Tammy Cantagallo - IRON CUE Innovative Ed. Competition
Iron Chef, CUE style?
Are you familiar with the newest trend in entertainment?
Learn more about breakouts/ room escapes:
Entertainment Breakouts in the Chicago area:
More information about Breakout Edu:
A company selling kits: Breakout Edu This company also provides a platform for teachers to share their games with others.
My Concept for First Day Back Teacher Institute --------------------------------> Breakout to Lunch
Do teacher institute days sound like this in your school?
Imagine watching this an hour before lunch:
Guaranteed to be Social, Productive, and Fun.
How the iPad is utilized in the game:
- To get staff excited about the game, use an iPad to project the Mission video.
- Use an iPad to project the official timer, set for 60 minutes.
- Clues will include uses of the iPad. The goal is to get teachers learning about their iPads. For Example:
- Teachers must FaceTime with the new superintendent. After each team member has asked her a question they'd like to know, she will give them their next clue.
- Teachers must tweet out their favorite app using #breakouttolunch or #schoolpride.
- Teachers must create an infographic summarizing the Buck Institute's Gold Standards for Project Based Learning (or any current model you are following in your school), and submit the finished product to the Learning Management System.
- iPads will also be used as part of the room set up. For example:
- Teachers will ask new staff members questions that generate a number as the answer, such as birthdate, number of years teaching, or number of children. These numbers make a passcode that is then entered onto an iPad sitting somewhere in the room, which opens up information about the next clue.