Compass Family Update
November 7, 2016
What's happening this week at Compass?
Monday, November 7th, 2016
- Mark Morris Dance Classes for Chestnut (3rd Grade) and Elm (2nd Grade)
Tuesday, November 8th, 2016
- No School: Election Day (Don't forget to vote! Click HERE to find your polling place. Many of our children are interested in the election. We encourage you to take your child to the polls with you if your schedule allows.)
- Election Day Bake Sale at Compass! (Click HERE to sign up to bring something and/or volunteer at the Bake Sale. Stop by for yummy treats and drinks if you're in the neighborhood!)
Wednesday, November 9th, 2016
- 8:20AM-9:00AM: Please join us in the gym for Community Gathering
Thursday, November 10th, 2016
- Second Grade (Pine and Elm Classes) Field Trip to the Salt Marsh Nature Center
Friday, November 11th, 2016
- We HAVE school on Friday, but there is no yellow bus service. Please find alternate transportation for your child.
FROM THE CO-DIRECTORS
It's the 10th week of school and we have many updates to share this week! Please read through the info below carefully and let us know if you have questions.
Please take a look at the info below about our Community Closet. The Community Closet is a free store that is available for families to use as needed. The closet will be open on Wednesdays beginning next week and is also open by appointment.
We have some exciting news to share regarding this year's school pictures. Individual school pictures will take place NEXT WEEK!
*** Thursday November 17th: Tulip, Oak, Chestnut and Maple classes ***
*** Friday November 18th: Gingko, Beech, Pine, and Elm classes ***
- Lucy Schaeffer (http://www.lucyschaeffer.com) one of our second grade parents, has graciously offered her services again as our photographer. Thank you Lucy!
- Since this is a school fundraiser event, we will need some PARENT VOLUNTEERS to make our picture days a success! Please sign up HERE to help out on picture day...it's a really fun way to get involved!
- Picture packages will be available via SmugMug.com in December to allow for holiday ordering.
- Students may wear an outfit of their choice on their picture day!
- We cannot guarantee a makeup photo time so please try to have your child to attend school these days!
- Class group pictures will be taken outside in the spring, but we will have a group shot available now that will be a collage of the individual shots per class.
- This year the photo background will be TEAL BLUE instead of grey for a fun pop of color that flatters diverse skin tones. Please keep that in mind with the clothes that you choose, avoid teal itself as it may blend into the background. Attached is a swatch of the background color plus a sample of previous year's Compass school photos with the background adjusted to simulate the new color.
PICTURE DAY PARENT VOLUNTEER SIGN UP LINK: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30e0c4ba5ae2ea1fd0-compass1
Click HERE to see this week's Farm Stand Newsletter. This includes information about how each grade uses the Farm Stand, a produce list for this week, and a volunteer sign up. Also, please check the most recent newsletter from your child's teachers for information about the Shared Fund for purchasing produce each week.
Marathon Bake Sale Thanks
Thank you so much to all of you for baking, donating goodies, and volunteering at our 2nd Annual Marathon Bake Sale. We raised $800 for the school! Yay!
Thank you to Johanna Bauman and Jake Kader for co-chairing the event!
Brooke, Michelle, and Todd
Important Information from the Ops Team: Food Services
Food Services and Breakfast & Lunch Menus
Every year, the DoE asks us to ask our families to fill out the Food Services application even if you have no intention of using Food Services. 78% of Compass families have filled out the application -- we are still aiming for 100% completion!
Invoices for meals eaten in September and October are forthcoming in the next 2 weeks -- it is vital that we have your correct status to bill you correctly.
You can access the form here.
Click HERE to access the breakfast menu for November
Click HERE to access the lunch menu for November.
Updates from the Studios: Visual Art, Music, and Sustainability
Update from Suzanne (Visual Art)
Students have been painting, stamping, sewing, drawing, playing, sculpting, gluing, writing, sharing, listening, looking and reflecting.
Check out the new Compass Visual Art Instagram (@compass_visualart).
Interested in helping to form the founding year of visual art at Compass?
Please reach out to Suzanne@brooklyncompass.org
Update from Kirsten (Sustainability)
Kirsten's Sustainability blog is back up and running! Please check this blog for updates on curriculum and information from the Sustainability Studio. One new blog post will be added each week and will feature a different grade each week.
Here's the link to the blog: https://thesustainabilitystudio.org/
Update from Sara (Music)
Sara will share an update from one grade each week. For this first week, she is sharing a work sample from first grade.
First grade has begun their work with music literacy! Below, you can see a first grader perform the rhythm to Queen, Queen, Caroline. (For those of you familiar with reading music, we notate rhythm using only the stems of a full musical note. This is called stick notation and is a useful shorthand for isolating rhythms!)
Our Healthy School Fund: October and November
If you have not already contributed to the Healthy School Fund for September and October, please do so as soon as possible. We ask that you contribute $30 per child per month. Directions for payment are listed below. Please let us know if you have questions. If you need support in making contributions to the Healthy School Fund, please let us know and we will do our best to support you.
Various ways you can make payments to Compass (for the Healthy Snack Fund, t-shirts, school lunches) include:
- Mail or hand-deliver a Cash, Check, or Money Order to Todd or Chelsea (For the time being, please only give money to these two Compass employees. Haleema, our new Finance Manager, will be setting up a new process for receiving funds in the near future.)
- Venmo: username = compasscharter
- Square Cash = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: email@example.com.
- Here are slightly sophisticated directions for how to setup an automatic payment through Square Cash if that helps you.
- Chase QuickPay = send your contribution to Todd’s work email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Chase's platform allows you to easily setup a recurring payment.
- Online: https://brooklyncompass.org/donate/
This Week's Morning Snack Menu
2016-2017 School Year Calendar
Click HERE to access our public Compass calendar.
Compass Charter School
Follow us on Instagram @brooklyn_compass
Feel free to reach out anytime with questions or to catch up. Our contact info is listed below.
Brooke Peters, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 503
Michelle Healy, Co-Director of Curriculum and Instruction
718-310-3588, extension 504
Todd Sutler, Co-Director of Strategic Development
718-310-3588, extension 501