Speed and Velocity
My Definition: The rate at which an object covers distance.
Formulas: s= distance traveled/ time traveled
- Uses distance
- Can't be negative
- Its absolute
- Slope on delta s over delta t
My definition: Refers to the rate at which an object changes its position.
Formulas: V= Vₒ + at
t= v- vₒ/ a
- Can be negative
- Uses displacement
- Has direction
- Slope on delta x/ delta t graph
2. A shooting comet goes 1.73 km downward in 25 s. What is the average velocity of the comet?
3. A seal can swim as fast as 1.7 x 10(squared) km/h. When seal A accelerates 2.67 m/s(squared) so after the displacement is 6.00 x 10 (squared). Calculate the initial velocity, just before the acceleration.
4. A bat flew at a speed of 3.00 x 10 (squared) m/s at an altitude of 12 km, where the speed of sound in air is 3.00 x 10 (squared) m/s. Suppose he accelerated 7.20 m/s (squared) in 25 s to reach the final speed of 3.00 x 10 (squared) m/s. What was his initial speed?