FOR the RECORD
2018-2019 Transitional Transfers
A Transitional Transfer (TT) request is for students going from fifth-grade to sixth-grade or eighth-grade to ninth-grade who wish to attend a site other than the one in their home residence feeder pattern. This type of transfer is part of an open enrollment process. Students approved, on a first come, first serve basis, will be considered a permanent part of the school population for sixth-grade to eighth-grade or ninth-grade to twelfth-grade, respectively, as long as the student resides in the SPS District attendance area.
Advertising this opportunity for current 5th graders and 8th graders and their families would be a proactive step for sites during the month of October. The TT form can be located in alpha order under the FAMILIES heading on the main SPS website. So as not to confuse this request with the Immediate Transfer Request, the TT form will be moved to the top of the Transfer Request webpage. Please include in any advertising the information below. Parents need to know they need to respond to the building that has accepted their TT request by Monday December 18 by the end of the day.
Important Dates to Remember in the Transitional Transfer Process are:
- Wednesday November 1, 2017 at 7:30 a.m. TT request form will be activated
- Friday December 1, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. TT request form will be closed
Key Building DEADLINES
- Friday December 8, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. TT Request Site Building Principals should approve or deny TT requests.
- Monday December 18, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. If a parent receives more than one TT acceptance, the parent should make a decision about which school their child should attend.
- Friday December 22, 2017 by 4:00 p.m. Site Secretaries for 5th and 8th grade buildings should code all accepted TT students accordingly in eSchool and attach TT request form in the student's eSchool paperclip.
Student of Non-Resident Employee Enrollment/ Transfer Request
Policy JECA-Admission of Students allows full-time Springfield Public Schools employees who do not live within the SPS attendance area to request enrollment of their Child in an SPS school without paying tuition. A non-resident, full-time employee is defined as an employee who is eligible to participate in the district’s health plan who lives outside of the school district’s boundaries.
Current SPS non-resident employees who wish to request enrollment of their child into a SPS school must do so during the transitional transfer request timeframe. Click here to see the Transfer Request webpage
Individuals living within the SPS school district who wish to attend a SPS school other than the one they are assigned to based on their address, must request a transfer. Transfer request are processed in the order they are received.
Immediate transfers are available year-round. Immediate transfers are accepted on a determination of building capacity and/or class size. Dr. Range sent a table for Title and Non-Title Sites to determine class size capacity K-5.
The SPS Volunteer Program
Site Volunteer Coordinators have worked to ensure volunteers understand their school procedures and practices. At this time there are over 3032 volunteer applications on file for our schools.
Please encourage your teachers to make sure they advertise at least 3 weeks ahead of any field trip or parent events that require a volunteer to have a background check. The Volunteer Application process utilizes an email workflow system. The potential volunteer can locate our application under the Families heading from the main SPS webpage.
The SPS Volunteer Program funds the cost of the background checks so there is equity and access for parents/community members to volunteer when approved. Southeastern Security Consultants, Inc, conduct the background checks and the entire screening takes three to five business days to complete.
Teachers should give at least 3 weeks notice to parents interested in assisting with field trips to make sure their background checks are finalized and approved prior to the event.
Please encourage your volunteers to log their hours. The volunteer log is on the SPS Volunteer Program webpage. Some buildings have the link to their log on a school computer, some buildings the volunteers sign in and out on hard copy pages, and the Site Volunteer Coordinator logs the volunteer hours. It is entirely up to the building to determine the best method for their volunteers.
RECOGNIZE YOUR VOLUNTEERS
1. After 10 hours-Offer the Volunteer a VIP lanyard
2. After 20 hours-Offer the Volunteer a picture ID badge. Just snap a photo of the volunteer or have the volunteer send you a picture of themselves electronically.
Send the picture to Brenda Swearingen in the Records Office. Brenda will create a VIP Picture ID badge for your volunteer to put on their VIP lanyard. BE SURE TO WRITE THE VOLUNTEER"S NAME AS THEY WANT IT ON THE BADGE and your school so it gets to the right person.
3. After 60 hours of service let us know. We will send you a special button for the volunteer to wear on their lanyard.
4. Don't forget. We have sent all SVCs thank you notes to express appreciation to your dedicated site volunteers.