GCS Media Matters
Upcoming Task and Dates to Remember for this Week.
This Week October 12
- Remember our Extreme Transformation Challenge... Send before pictures to email@example.com
Oct. 13 YA literature October 13- 6:00 HP Barnes and Noble High Point location
Oct. 14 Early Release Day
CANCELLED - Destiny for Beginners
Beginning Destiny Training will be rescheduled. Please contact Jackie Pender-Jones for one-on-one training.
Oct. 16 DUE DATE: MTAC Committee Members Due via Link (See Below)
MTAC Committee members DUE via Digital Form October 16th
Please click the appropriate level below and enter your school MTAC committee members for the 2015-2016 School Year.
Need more information?
- Click here to find out More Information about MTAC Committee and the members that need to be included
Register now for the NCSLMA 2015 Annual Conference
- When: October 22 - 24, 2015
- Why: Empowering Students: Literacy For All Ensuring that all of our students have access to resources that they can see themselves in as well as use.
- Where: Benton Convention Center Winston-Salem, NC
- Click HERE to find out more about the conference.
- Click Here to Register for the Conference
Register Early prices go up after Oct. 9.
YA Literature will meet at 6pm-7pm and may be altered to meet everyone's schedule. Karen Meier will send details for location and sign up.
Tuesday, October 13- 6:00 HP Barnes and Noble High Point location
Monday, November 9
Tuesday, December 8
Monday, January, 25
Tuesday, February 23
Weather Make-up date: Tuesday, March 14
Spare Time Reading Incentive Thank You...
Please take a few minutes to have your students that won the SpareTime gift cards or coupons to write thank you notes or take a picture of the group and send it with a thank you to the address below. It will go a long way in keeping our community partners strong.
Send cards to:
5502 Hornaday Road
Greensboro NC 27409
"Teachers Talking to Teachers"
Scuppernong Books: "Teachers Talking to Teachers", Wednesday, October 12 @ 6:30 p.m.
Lollie at Scuppernog Books is reaching out to teachers for support. The bookstore provided Jackie Woodson's visit to Bessemer Elementary last year. Scuppernong Books, 304 S. Elm St., Greensboro, NC 27401.
Instructional Technology and Innovation
- CLICK HERE to access their Back to School Digital Newsletter.
- Please feel free to share with your staff.
Evaluation Instrument Webinar by DPI
School library media coordinators actively seek ongoing professional development to improve their practice and the effectiveness of the library media program. (Standard 5, Element B)
Many of you may be interested in the archived evaluation instrument webinar. Please feel free to share with your Administrator. It answers many questions about the process and how media specialists fit in. It also details the fact that it may not always be a class that is observed.
GASL 31 Day Instagram challenge for Libraries!
GASL is very excited to see how GCS Media Specialists are transforming their libraries (for free!) through the 31 Day Instagram challenge for Libraries! If you’d like to see what they’re doing, look for them on Instagram (names below) and take a peek! Are you also participating and do not see your name below? Send your Instagram name to Jessica Sherard (firstname.lastname@example.org) for it to be added to the Media Matters Newsletter. Check out this website to get a detailed account of what to do for each day’s picture.
- Tonya Monroe-Leach’s – amslions1
- Karla Raegan – @mrsreganslibrary
- Ashley Morgan - @librarianashley
- Jennifer Worrells and Jessica Sherard - @grimsley_library
Want more information on Maker spaces?
Pam James has found a wonderful website on utilizing different types of maker spaces and inspiring learning through exploration and inquiry.
Research in a Digital World: Electronic Resources for K-12
Tuesday, October 20, 2015,
3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EDT / 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM PDT
SLJ’s latest webcast will spotlight new and up-and-coming e-resources.
- Strengthen information literacy
- Reinforce and develop research skills
- Foster critical thinking
- Emphasize the importance of citing research
- Present content to students with different learning styles
Can't make it October 20th? No problem!
Register now and you will get an email reminder from School Library Journal post-live event when the webcast is archived and available for on-demand viewing at your convenience!
Discovery Education Presents DENapalooza 2015
- What: DENapalooza 2015: A free, full day of learning opportunities from Discovery Education with presentations given by STAR Discovery Educators and members of the DEN Team.
- When: November 14, 2015
- Where: Raleigh, NC
- For more information, click here.
Photo Directory Pictures Needed
Please send Tammy a picture of yourself for the GCS Media Specialist online Picture Directory.
CLICK HERE to verify if you need to send in a picture.
Library Media Services
Have a wonderful week!
Remember: If you would like text reminders about media services events text @mediaspe to (469)209-4439
Employee of the Month
CLICK HERE to nominate someone for Employee of the Month.