August 22, 2022
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year!
I hope your summer was relaxing, and you've had the opportunity to get recharged and ready for the start of a new school year. We are looking forward to seeing students back in our buildings for a full day of school on Wednesday, August 24.
I want to share three quick updates with you as we prepare to move into week one of the school year. Please review the information below and reach out to your building principal with any questions.
Please be sure to check your student(s) transportation schedule before the start of the school year, as some route numbers and pick-up/drop-off times have changed.
Please log in to your Infinite Campus Parent Portal to view your student's bus stop location and approximate pick-up/drop-off time. Actual stop times may vary for the first several weeks as route patterns are established, and students adjust to boarding and getting seated. If you have questions regarding busing, please get in touch with the Transportation Department at 708-532-8539.
Please contact your school office If you need assistance with your parent portal.
- D140 Response Plan - COVID-19
Kirby School District 140 is prepared for a full opening for the 2022-23 school year. We are closely monitoring the guidance provided by the Illinois School Board of Education (ISBE) and the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) / Cook County Department of Public Health (CCDPH).
Please visit 2022-23 School Year Updates to review our daily operational strategies and protocols for the upcoming year. Updates will be posted to this section of our website as needed.
- Calendar Change
I want to call your attention to a calendar change regarding Winter Break and the Last Day of School.
This year, D140's Winter Break will begin with a Half Day on Thursday, December 22. Elementary schools will be dismissed at 11:10 am, and middle schools will be dismissed at noon.
This is a change from the 2022-23 school year calendar originally released to families. The adjustment to Winter Break will also affect the Last Day of School. The 2022-23 school year will now conclude with a Half Day on Friday, June 9, 2023. Elementary schools will be dismissed at 11:10 am, and middle schools will be dismissed at noon.
Thank you in advance for your support and collaboration in the year ahead. I am looking forward to having this opportunity to work with you and to be able to make a difference in your student's education.
Dr. Daniel Callaghan
Kindergarten Round Up
KSD 140 elementary principals and kindergarten teachers welcomed kindergarten students and their parents/guardians to the 2022-23 School Year at Kindergarten Round-Up on Thursday, August 18.
D140 Summer Professional Development
Community Building at Tinley Park's National Night Out
- Monday, August 22, and Tuesday, August 23 - Teacher Institute Day - No school for students
- Tuesday, August 23 - Open House at Elementary Schools for K-5, EC, and Preschool from 6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 24 - First Day of School for All Students (EC - 8) Elementary school (K-5) students will attend from 7:55 a.m. - 2:25 p.m., and middle school (6-8) students will attend from 8:45 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. AM Early Childhood students will attend from 7:55 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. AM Preschool students will attend from 8:10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. PM Preschool students will attend from 11:40 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. PM Early Childhood students will attend 11:50 a.m. - 2:25 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 24 - Middle School Open House from 6:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, September 5 - Labor Day - No School
- Thursday, September - 15 - Board of Education Meeting @ 7 pm in the Administration Center located at 16931 S. Grissom Drive, Tinley Park
- Friday, September 23 - Half Day - Early Dismissal - Elementary schools will be dismissed at 11:10 am and middle schools will be dismissed at 12 noon.