SANTA SUSANA HIGH SCHOOL
YOUR SCHOOL OF CHOICE
IS SANTA SU RIGHT FOR YOU?
- Smaller student body than most comprehensive high schools
- Supportive and friendly staff
- A culture of motivated learners
- Welcoming, connected, and kind student body
- High-level, relevant, and rigorous learning experiences
- Certify between one or more of 20 different courses of study/pathways.
- Programs in science and technology that are unmatched.
- A visual and performing arts program like no other
- We offer 37 different Advanced Placement and Honors Courses
Below are just a few of our programs of interest.
- ROBOTICS - Competes at the state level
- PRE-MEDICAL ACADEMY - Hands-on, real-world experiences
- ENTREPRENEURSHIP - It's a business
- MOCK TRIAL - Nationally ranked team (Video)
- VOCAL/CHOIR - Nationally recognized
- THEATER - Broadway style musicals
- PRODUCTION & MANAGERIAL ARTS - Students run the Performing Arts Center
- DIGITAL GRAPHICS - A nationally recognized academy
- DANCE - Recognized by the state as a program of excellence
- INSTRUMENTAL - High honors at regional festivals
- TV/VIDEO/FILM/BROADCASTING - Work closely with industry professionals
- EXPLORE WEBSITE FOR MANY MORE PROGRAMS AND ACADEMIES
TAKE A VIRTUAL TOUR AND LEARN MORE
We'd like to invite you and your family to virtually tour our campus and talk with our administrative team. We have virtual tours scheduled for the dates listed below.
Please allow for one hour to complete the virtual tour. Starting times will either be 9:15am or 1:15pm depending on the selected day.
Zoom information will be shared the day before the tour to families who RSVP.
SSHS SHOWCASE - Save the Date - January 27th
We would like to invite all interested families to our SSHS Showcase when we will have all of our teachers and student clubs available to virtually meet incoming families. Each of our departments will be showcasing their programs and learning experiences. Families will get a chance to talk with teachers, students, and staff from our Performing Arts, Visual Arts, Engineering Sciences, Mock Trial, and many more.
JANUARY 27th at 6:00pm
NOTE: The link above is an RSVP Form intended for any students or families interested in attending Santa Susana High School's Open House - Virtual Showcase on January 27th. Please use it to indicate which Academies you would like to virtually visit. This evening will help students and families make informed decisions about whether or not SSHS is the right school for you next year. It is also a great opportunity to connect with the teacher(s) and get to know more about that academy.
Below is an example of a drafted schedule for the virtual showcase. After completing this registration form, families will receive the Zoom links for the selected Academies. An email with all of the details will be sent to families on Monday, January 25th.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the school.
We look forward to connecting with you!
SCHOOL OF CHOICE- HOW IT WORKS!
- Take a tour (not required).
- Attend the SSHS Showcase on January 27th
- Complete the School of Choice Application on our website. This is due by February 28th.
- Families will be notified by March 3rd of their acceptance.
- Once accepted, complete the Enrollment Packet
- For students not currently in a SVUSD school, click here to learn more about steps to complete.
- If interested in Performing Arts, visit link for information. Auditions will be completed through video submissions this year.
- Attend Future Troubadour Day on March 11th. When accepted, students are provided more information about next steps and course registration. Information and details will be sent home when students are accepted.
UPCOMING VIRTUAL EVENTS
NOV 20 - Video Production Drive-In Film Festival*
NOV 22- Children's Theatre Mythos, Tales of Adventure
DEC 11- Dance Show Dinner and a Show
DEC 12-13 - Musical Theater Miscast
DEC 20 - Play Production The Outer Dimension
JAN 27 - SSHS SHOWCASE All Programs on Display
FEB 8 - Virtual Science Fair
FEB 20 - Virtual STEAM EXPO & Health Fair
MAR 11 - Future Troubadour Day
MAR 23 - Distinguished Speaker Series
We will update the newsletter as new show information comes available.
*Tickets required for starred performances.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Absolutely, all students are welcome. We have students attend from all three middle schools, as well as transfers from private schools and outside of the district.
2. I live outside Simi Valley. How do I enroll in SSHS?
- For out-of-district applicants, an inter-district permit from the district of residence will be required at the March registration night. Therefore, parents should apply for this permit upon acceptance to SSHS.
3. If the school is at capacity how does SSHS determine admission for acceptance?
- Should we receive more applications than there are spaces available, a lottery will be conducted to determine acceptance.
4. Do I have to be in Performing or Visual Arts to attend?
- No. We offer nationally and state recognized programs in academics, such as Mock Trial, Robotics, as well as visual and technological arts. We offer certifications in a number of our academies in STEM.
5. If I go to Hillside am I automatically enrolled in SSHS for the 2020-2021 school year?
- No. All students who are interested in attending SSHS need to complete the School of Choice Application.
6. Does SSHS have a Pre-med Academy?
- Yes. Click this link for more information.
7. If I complete the School of Choice Application after February 28th will I still be able to attend SSHS?
- Families who complete the School of Choice Application after the due date can still be accepted to attend. Their acceptance status would be contingent on space after that point in time. The application has a timestamp when completed. Students will be placed on a waitlist in the order the application is submitted after February 28th.
8. My son/daughter would like to play sports, does SSHS offer any athletic programs?
- SSHS does not have sports. Two years of Physical Education is required. Students can satisfy this requirement through traditional PE, dance, yoga, or entertainment ensemble band class.
9. What clubs does SSHS offer for students to join?
- A full list of Student Clubs can be found on our website.
10. Who do I contact if I have questions about a specific program, club, or academy on campus?
11. How do we support students who need additional help?
- There are a number of ways we do this. Many of which take place in the classroom. Academic and Career Exploration (ACE) is built in time during the bell schedule for teachers to work with students. In addition, we offer peer tutoring everyday after school.
12. What is the bell schedule at SSHS?
- The Bell Schedule can be found on our website.
Mr. Matt Guzzo - Principal
Mrs. Aimee Spurbeck-Boian - Assistant Principal
Mr. Jason Quartararo - Assistant Principal
Mrs. Teri Hypes - Office Manager
SSHS COUNSELING DEPARTMENT
Ms. Devyn Thompson - Last Name A-F
Mrs. Lisa Hotz - Last Name G-N
Ms. Kelsey McMahon - Last Name O-Z
Mrs. Sue Petralia- Student Registrar