NSSD Parent Update: September 18th
Canvas Parent / Student Training #2
The North Santiam School District is making all efforts to ensure the start of school goes smoothly. Several districts around the State have experienced significant technology-related issues. We have investigated these issues and with your assistance, by following the guidance in the training document below, we have a great opportunity to solve potential issues to ensure a successful start to the school year.
We have a limited number of Verizon Hotspots for families in need. They are scheduled to be shipped to our District on September 21st. If your family has a need, please click on this link and fill out the form. Click this link for Spanish form.
What is Canvas?
Parents can sign up as observers in Canvas. Observers can link their Canvas accounts to their student's account to see assignments, grades, due dates, announcements and course content. Having this access will greatly assist parents in partnering with teachers to provide a richer learning experience. To prepare parents and students, we are including training videos to get you ready for the start of the school year. Teachers will be supporting students in using Canvas the first few weeks of school.
What Can Parents Do?
- Help your child(ren) login to their District Gmail Account and access Canvas.
- Have your student watch the Canvas Overview below.
- Set up your Parent Observer Account
- Attend a help session: Tuesday 6:00 pm, Wednesday 10:00 am and 6:00 pm, Thursday 10:00 am.
- Participate in a "soft start" session on Thursday or Friday (Your school will communicate this schedule).
- Report any issues to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make sure your child(ren) use their first and last name when logging into Zoom or Google Meets session with their teachers.
Student Login Instructions
- The student login to a district Chromebook, Google and Canvas accounts are all the same. They follow this pattern:
- Username: email@example.com (david.bolin@student29J.net)
- Password: #1st 4 letters2021 (#davi2021)
- Student will be prompted to change their password.
Using a District Chromebook:
- Your Canvas homepage will automatically show on the screen after you sign in to your Chromebook using your username and password. You can also access through the dropdown app menu (9dots) in the upper right-hand corner.
Using a Home Computer:
- Students will need to login to their District Google Account using their username and password and go to the Apps icon (9dots) and scroll down to find the Canvas App. They can also login to Canvas using the link below and the same password. We have found it is best to access Canvas through a student's Gmail Account.
Parent Login Instructions:
- Watch the Tutorial Video
- Review the How Do I Get a Pairing Code Directions
- Click on the Canvas login link below
- Click on Parent of a Canvas User
- Follow Directions for setting up account and pairing