Chapter 1 Summary
What do I need to know from Chapter 1?
Inductive and Deductive Reasoning
* Inductive reasoning – from specific example to arriving at a general conclusion (HYPOTHESES)
* Deductive reasoning – proving a specific conclusion from general statements (THEOREM)
3-minute video explaining the difference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXW5mLE5Y2g
Review your 1.1 homework and see http://sites.gpc.edu/tlamar2/chapter-1-math-1001/
Estimation, Graphs, and Mathematical Modeling
* Rounding (see page 15) – digits to the right of the “rounding place” are dropped
More help with rounding https://www.mathsisfun.com/rounding-numbers.html
* Estimation is used to arrive at an approximate answer by using rounding and simplified arithmetic
* interpreting circle, line, bar graphs
Review your 1.2 homework and see http://sites.gpc.edu/tlamar2/chapter-1-math-1001/
Four Step Problem Solving
* Watch the “Check Point” videos in MyMathLab. Go to Multimedia Library, choose Chapter 1, section 3, and click “video” then “find now”.
Review your 1.3 homework and see http://sites.gpc.edu/tlamar2/chapter-1-math-1001/