Wildcat Newsletter - April 20th, 2020
A Message from the Principal
I am so impressed with the great work I am finding on Seesaw! Of course I still miss you all, but having the opportunity to see you engaging, learning and creating brings me joy and makes it a bit less difficult to be away from Westridge.
Although we are not teaching live, teachers will post lessons and/or activities daily for new grade level content and standards. Music & PE lessons will be posted twice a week. I have reposted the Distance Learning for All Sample Instructional Day for your reference. You will find it by clicking on the button below.
Students and parents, if you have questions or need assistance, our staff is here to help - please email your teacher or me for support.
Keep learning and creating, take time to enjoy the beautiful outdoors and of course, be responsible, respectful, safe and kind - the Wildcat Way!
A few reminders:
1. Student participation/attendance is now required, effective April 13 - June 2020.
2. Consider creating a schedule to include student work time, short breaks, lunch, and physical breaks to chunk up the learning process at home (remember, this is flexible to accommodate family schedules).
3. Struggling with tech? Check-out a device from Westridge if your child needs one (email Mrs. Calbreath at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an iPad (gr K-2) or Chromebook (gr 3-5).
We appreciate your continued partnership to finish the 2019-2020 academic school year!
Distance Learning for All began on Monday, April 13. Teachers and staff are now providing teaching and learning in accordance with guidance from the Oregon Department of Education. Please click on the button to review all details.
Wildcat Virtual Spirit Week
How to Get Ready for Video Meetings!
*Please click on the button LOSD K-5 Elementary Family Guide to Google Meet below to see a full version of the thumbnail.
Need Tech Support?
Yearbook Photos Needed!
Letter from Our School Counselor - Week 2
Dear Westridge Elementary School Families and Students,
Hello! I hope you are doing well. I miss seeing students each day and have been thinking about you a lot in these past few weeks. This is a very challenging time, with many of our routines disrupted. My hope is that you are able to spend quality time with your family, taking care or your health, and looking forward to connecting and learning again.
I would like to take this opportunity to connect with you and let you know how I can support you and your students during this unique time. I am still here to support your student’s social/emotional needs, finding resources to support you and your family, and questions about Social-Emotional Learning lessons. I am more than happy to help address any questions that come up.
Communication at this time is more important, yet more challenging during this time of school closures. All communication has to be virtual and electronic to maintain social distancing. I can be contacted in the following ways:
Virtual office hours:
Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays 10:00-11:00
During office hours, I will be available to respond to emails in real time, and can respond with Google Hangouts calls as requested.
I can be reached via email at kieserg@loswego.K12.or.us. Please feel free to email me to schedule a Google Hangout during office hours.
Thank you for your patience and perseverance during these times. Together, we can support all students at Westridge.
Gary Kieser, MS, LPC
Westridge Elementary School Counselor
Parent Input Form for Class Placement
Click the "Westridge Parent Input Form" below to add your input. Forms must be submitted by May 1st, 2020 for consideration.
*Distance Learning Resources*
Distance Learning Resources on losdschools.org is a new central location for parents and guardians to find resources, instructions and supports while schools are closed. This is your ONE STOP SHOP!
Resources range from setting up Seesaw and Google Classroom and submitting a requests for tech support and passwords, to participating in our "grab and go" meal service and registering for emergency childcare.
Kindergarten Registration 2020 is Open!
If you have an incoming Kindergarten Student, please click here to register as soon as possible - the registration deadline is May 1.
- On May 1st, any school that has more age-eligible registered kindergarten students than capacity will conduct a lottery.
- Lottery Deadline: May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 1: Applicants with age-eligible siblings currently attending the same resident school will be given priority and will not go into the lottery but MUST register by the May 1 deadline.
- Lottery Tier 2: Age-eligible registrations received by May 1, 2020.
- Lottery Tier 3: All registrations (including sibling and early admission) received after May 1, 2020 are subject to availability.
- Lottery Date: May 6, 2020.
- Lottery Notification Date: May 8, 2020.
- All enrollments not selected in the lottery or received after the May 1 cut off, whose school is at capacity, would then be automatically overflowed to other schools in the district.
- Overflow schools won't be finalized until summer and we will notify families as soon as school assignments are determined.
- Most families are enrolled and attend at their resident school and are not included in the lottery process.
- Bus transportation will be provided for overflow students.
- Early-admission candidates must be assessed and pass the approval process. Approved early-admission students will be placed at the end of the applicant list for placement in their resident school.
- Any students who are overflowed for kindergarten will return to their home school for first grade.
Boundary Changes Put on Hold
As discussed at this week's School Board meeting, LOSD is holding off on making any boundary changes for the 2020-2021 school year.
The uncertainties, impacts and hindrances caused by the Covid-19 stay home orders make it an extremely difficult and insensitive time to move students, staff and families. Right now, the sole focus of our LOSD team needs to be on providing the best possible teaching, learning and service during this time.
The decision to pause on boundary changes is not a reflection of the Boundary Review Committee's work. Quite the opposite. LOSD believes strongly in the need to adjust boundaries for the long-term benefit of our elementary schools. All of the work leading up to this point will continue to inform the district and School Board when the discussion is revisited next fall. The district’s intention is to make a decision by next winter to allow our school communities ample time to prepare for any boundary changes.
While we wait to make boundary changes, the district is committed to providing more equitable experiences at each elementary school, including additional support for the larger schools. This discussion will continue throughout the spring and summer as we prepare to welcome everyone back to school next year.
Applications for Foundation Board of Directors Extended
Are you interested in contributing to a dynamic volunteer organization dedicated to advancing our community's commitment to educational excellence?
Please consider applying for the Lake Oswego Schools Foundation Board of Directors. The Foundation is seeking parents/guardians, students and community residents to serve on its Board of Directors. Board members must demonstrate a commitment to the Foundation, the School District and the Lake Oswego community.
The term for new board members will begin June 2020. Board members commit to a two-year term and may serve up to three terms. Please click HERE to download. The application provides more information about being a board member.
Interested people should submit applications by Friday, April 24, 2020. The Nominating committee will review applications and conduct interviews the week of April 27, 2020. Please send your completed application via email to email@example.com.
Office Contact Information
At this time, we are working remotely. We will check voicemails daily, but the best way to reach us is by email.
Office Phone: 503-534-2371
Principal Kari Montgomery - firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal's Secretary Jodi Steward - email@example.com
Attendance/Records Secretary Andrea Murphy- firstname.lastname@example.org