IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Monday, January 18: No school--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Return to school
- Tuesday, January 19: No school for students--Teacher Work Day
- Wednesday, January 20: School is back in session, but Ms. Zunguze will be at all-day meetings for grade-level math leads. Please note that there will be a substitute teacher.
- Thursday, January 21: Although the second Washington, D.C. payment of $100 was due last Friday, I was unfortunately under-the-weather and unable to collect the money on the due date. If you have not already made payment in-person or online, please be prepared to make the payment to Ms. Zunguze on Thursday morning. The second payment of $100 is due for all students and chaperones planning on attending the Washington, D.C. trip--Payment can be made online at this site: <http://osp.osmsinc.com/AshevilleNC/BVModules/CategoryTemplates/Detailed%20List%20with%20Properties/Category.aspx?categoryid=BP008>. More information about the trip can be found here: https://www.smore.com/zxwbf-claxton-goes-to-washington-dc?ref=email>.
- Friday, January 22: After-School-Arts program applications and payments are due. See this link for more information: < http://claxtonparents.com/events-2/after-school-arts/>
- Monday-Wednesday, January 25-27: ACS Open Houses for new prospective incoming students to Claxton are scheduled from 9:00 A.M.-2:00 P.M. Please consider volunteering at the greeting table for one or more 1 1/2 hr. shifts. You can sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14mPRORTq6OFtbDyk8yBUmzyzUdO_JulnhELfe-Cqxm4/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=0
- A message from Mr. Edwards about the last ten days of school: "All of Asheville City Schools will conduct EOG testing in the last 10 academic days of school. Currently, that means beginning on the 24th of May and concluding on the last day of school, June 7th. This certainly is contingent on snow days, so fully expect for these days to shift later into June. We want to be proactive in letting everyone know now, so that there are no surprises at the end of the year".
- Thank you to all who answered Dr. Martin Luther King's call to service last Friday, assisting our students to volunteer in the greater community! What a great way to honor Dr. King's legacy!
- A tremendous "THANK YOU!" is in order for Juvae's mother, Ms. Velene Fagan, who has agreed to photocopy our next math unit. She will be copying off-campus the entire Engage New York Module 3 for all twenty-five students in our class! With our photocopy machines struggling to keep up with our curricular demands, Ms. Fagan is truly rescuing us all with her support!
More information from the PTO about how to help out with next week's Open Houses:
The PTO New Families Committee needs your help at the upcoming ACS Open Houses Jan. 25-27! Between the hours of 9am and 2pm, numerous prospective families will visit Claxton, deciding whether this is the school they would like for their children to attend. For many families, this will be their first impression of Claxton, and we want to make it a good one! Please consider volunteering at the greeting table for one or more 1 1/2 hr. shifts-- no experience necessary. . . just be prepared to share with prospective families the things you think make Claxton great! Please use the google doc below to sign up:
We will be contacting all volunteers prior to the Open Houses to let them know what to expect and to make sure they have all of the resources they need. In the meantime, feel free to contact us if you have any questions-- thank you so much for your help!
Amanda Van Cleve
co-chairs of PTO New Families Committee
- Check out this website that provides sample math problems and answers as well as videos for homework help: <http://www.oakdale.k12.ca.us/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1402228893267>!
- I have also set up a free class account with Kahn Academy. Your child can join Ms. Zunguze's Kahn Academy class, which provides standards-based math missions that are individualized based on your student's progress within the program. I will offer extra credit for each online session that your child completes. Here's how to join: