Elkins Update- Nov/Dec 2016
Monthly Newsletter to Keep Parents Informed
There's No Place Like Elkins!
* With cooler weather arriving, please make sure your students are dressed appropriately for the temperatures each day. We do go outside (especially in the LiiNK grade levels) when it's very cold, so please send the necessary clothing (coats, hats, gloves, etc) when needed. Please make sure your child's name is in the clothing. So many articles of clothing are lost each year, and that could be avoided if the kids' names were labeled in the jackets, hoodies, hats, etc.
* Just a reminder that school BEGINS at 7:35. We are seeing more and more students come in right at or after the bell. Please help us out by getting your student to school in plenty of time to get to his/her class before that 7:35 bell. As the weather gets cooler,we know it can take longer to get dressed and out of the house, but please make the effort to arrive on time before the tarty bell at 7:35.
* Literacy Night is Thursday December 1st from 5:30-7:00pm. This is one of our biggest and most fun events of the year. We will have a performance by our 2nd graders, and Hoofbeats (our honor choir). We will also have the In & Out Burger truck, letter writing, a book walk, the book fair, story time, and SANTA pictures! Each picture will be $5 for a 5x7, so bring your kiddos, your smiles, and your appetite. If you pre ordered a burger basket, you may begin picking up your tickets for the burgers at 5:00 and they will start serving at 5:30. We are asking that those of you going to the choir performance at 5:30 wait until after the performance before getting in line for the burgers. This is to ensure that you won't be in line when the choir/2nd graders perform. Once the performance is concluded, all activities will begin.
* Our enrichment clubs have started, and each student has had the chance to participate in 2 sessions so far. Make sure to ask your student which club he/she is in and how they have enjoyed it so far. We will have our next round of clubs next Friday, since the next Friday will be early dismissal for the holidays!
* We are continuing to increase our students' vocabulary by learning new words each 2 weeks and discussing them on the announcements. We are reviewing some words from last year as well as adding some new ones to the mix. Ask your student what lachanophobia means. You may be surprised at the answer!
* We are also learning and discussing different life principles each month. This year,the teachers choose our Elks of the Month based on how they have exhibited certain life principles we are discussing. This month, we have focused on honesty, flexibility, initiative, and problem-solving. We are working to teach our students how to not only be successful students, but to be successful and productive citizens in the community.
* Friday, December 16th will be early dismissal at 11:40 for the holiday break. The class parties will begin on that day around 10:50. If you are coming to the parties, you will be asked to remain in the office until the 10:50 mark to ensure that we are not interrupting classes too early. We appreciate your cooperation, and we hope you all have a wonderful holiday season!
Love and Logic
Below is a flyer about a Love and Logic training opportunity. Please contact the counselor at email@example.com if you have any questions. If you are interested in attending, please fill out the bottom portion of the form and return to Mrs. Shelton by January 6th. We will also attach the form to the email via School Messenger when this newsletter is sent via email. Please contact us if you need us to send home a hard copy of the flyer.
- Make sure to sign up for Skyward Family Access! You can do this by visiting the district website at www.emsisd.com. Click on "Parents," then click on "Family and Student Access." This will allow you to view your students' grades, sign up for bus transportation, adjust personal information such as phone numbers, email addresses, etc. This is the best way to stay connected to everything going on with your students!
- Elkins Remind text message feature is available this year! Follow this link in order to sign up to receive text messages from Elkins for important reminders such as picture day, special events, early releases, etc.! This is a great way to stay connected!
Dates to Remember
Thursday, December 1st: 6;30-7:00
Literacy Night (Santa, choir performance, 2nd grade performs, In & Out, activities, book fair and more)
Friday, December 16th:
Early Dismissal at 11:40
Holiday Break: December 19-Jan.2
1st day back from holiday break
Friday, January 13th:
Early Dismissal at 11:40 (end of the 9 weeks)
Monday, January 16th:
Thursday, January 19th:
PTA Meeting at 6:00