GAEA Art Blast
Happy Youth Art Month!
This issue is filled with LOTS of great info including, call for fall conference proposals, Capitol Art information, call for Awards and Board Election candidates, YAM and MORE!
Yay for YAM!
March is such an exciting time for art educators. During this time of year we seek to advocate through various opportunities in our classroom and school communities. What are you doing for YAM? Perhaps, this is your first time celebrating, no problem, it's easy to get started! Here are some ideas as you look to engage your students and fellow stakeholders.
- Display student artwork in a "Youth Art Month" galley
- Present various facts and YAM tidbits using your school announcements or TV program.
- Invite special guests into your school, maybe have the Mayor declare a special proclamation.
- Post student art on social media.
- Host an Empty Bowls event where funds raised go to a local food bank.
- Participate in local competitions and shows.
- Participate in an Artist Trading Card (ATC) swap with another school.
- Create a "March ART Madness" bracket as students vote on head-to-head artists match ups until there is an ultimate champion. (see below)
- Participate in the GAEA photo challenge, post pictures and tag using #YAM23GA (see below)
All the best,
YAM Flag Winners
Winning artists selected for the 2023 YAM flag.
Capitol Art Exhibition
- RECEPTION: Tuesday, March 21, 2023, 4-5:30PM
- March 1, 2023 TUESDAY - Artwork due to your Regional Representative (Post-marked)
- March 18, 2023 SATURDAY - Set Up at the Twin Towers 9AM-12AM * NO CURB-SIDE DROP OFF AT THE CAPITOL (you'll need to be on a list prior to arrival)
- March 25, 2023 SATURDAY - Exhibit Take Down 9AM-11PM (you'll need to be on a list prior to arrival)
For additional Information Contact:
Dr. Aimee Burgamy, CAE Chair
Annie Park, CAE Co-Chair
Awards and Elections
It is that time of year to consider nominating worthy arts educators for a GAEA AWARD or BOARD-ELECT position. Please review the Google link, follow the prompts, and submit a colleague.
The deadline for award nominations will be Sunday, April 30th
Deadline for Elections will be Sunday, May 28th
This is great time to celebrate all the hard work and often behind the scenes effort that goes into being an amazing arts advocate! See link below. Awards will be presented at our 2023 Fall Conference.
Consider the following categories, you can submit multiple candidates and multiple awards.
- Georgia Art Educator of the Year Award
- Elementary Level Art Educator of the Year Award
- Middle Level Art Educator of the Year Award
- Secondary Level Art Educator of the Year Award
- Supervision/Administration Level Art Educator of the Year Award
- Distinguished Service Inside the Profession Award
- Distinguished Service Outside the Profession Award
- Emeritus Level Art Educator of the Year Award
- Croy West Award (Special Needs in Art Education)
- National Art Honor Society Award
- Museum Education Level Art Educator of the Year Award
*Please note, there is a 10-year window to win a previously won award. In the event you have nominated a candidate who meets that criteria, the awards chair will reach out directly. DUE Sunday, April 30th
This is also a great time to consider a worthy candidate for our board positions. Candidates are needed for the follow areas. DUE Sunday, May 28th
Board position - Elect
- Elementary Division Representative
- Middle Division Representative
- Secondary Division Representative
- Higher Education Division Representative
- Museum Division Representative
Questions: please reach out to:
GAEA awards chair and Past-President, Noelle Petersen firstname.lastname@example.org
GAEA President, Stan Dodson email@example.com
NAEA 2023 San Antinioo
Please join the NAEA community as visual arts, design, and media arts educators come together April 13–15, 2023 in San Antonio, Texas and virtually for the 2023 NAEA National Convention. This unparalleled professional learning event offers hundreds of sessions, workshops, and opportunities designed to inform, inquire, inspire, and create connections.
Congratulations to Cindy Lau Quan Hong on her recent selection as the NAEA Southeastern Region Elementary Art Educator. What a wonderful honor. We look forward to celebrating Cindy in San Antonio on April 13.
I am excited to announce that Laura LaQuaglia will be joining the executive board as member-at-large, filling the vacancy left by Kate McLeod.
We are actively seeking a business representative. If you are interested or you know a member who may be interested, please reach out.
We are also seeking venues to host the GAEA fall conference after 2024. Are you interested in chairing or co-chairing a GAEA conference?
Youth Art Month and Capitol Art Exhibition
Have you ever been interested in helping with YAM or CAE for GAEA? If so, send an email.
Forward all questions and requests to, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Airport Exhibition is a premiere space for arts advocacy and we are fortunate to be collaborative partners with the airport. In recent years the show has stalled due in part to the pandemic and challenges arising from partner venders, in particular, local Atlanta framers.
If you seek to participate in future exhibitions or have questions regarding a current exhibt, please reach out to:
Katie Medley, email@example.com
Dr. Kirby Meng, firstname.lastname@example.org
GAEA President-Elect: email@example.com
SOCIAL MEDIA with Amanda Durant: complete this form for inquires
Please address any website inquiries to: GAEA WEBMASTER at Linn.Zamora@gcpsk12.org
GAEA Treasurer and GAEA mailing address
C/O Lynn Fagan
18 Margie Court
Hoschton, GA 30548
Next full board meeting: April 22, 9 am on zoom