Emergency Medical Technician
What They do Daily
- Respond to 911 calls for emergency medical assistance.
- Assess a patient’s condition and determine the best possible way of treatment.
- Use backboards and restraints to keep patients still and safe in an ambulance during transport.
- Assist in transferring patients to the emergency department of a health care department.
- Replace used supplies and assess or clean equipment after use.
- Create a patient care report, documenting the medical care given to the patient.
Their Work Environment and Hours
EMT's work anywhere and everywhere whether they be inside or outside , and during all weather conditions
Typically they are more common in metropolitan areas. Whilst volunteer EMT's are more common in small cities, towns, and rural areas.
They tend to work full time which is typically a minimum or average of 40 hours a week. Typically they work over time during the night and weekends. They also tend to work in 12 to 24 hour increments
Education and What it takes to be one
Classes that are typically taken...
- and medical procedures
EMT and paramedic courses consist of lectures, hands-on skills training, and clinical and/or field internships.
Hours required (class time)
- 150 hours
Advanced EMT level
- 300 hours
- 1,200 hours
- They can earn anywhere from 23,844 to 37,905.
- Average salary as of this month (September) is 30, 324.
- Hourly rate in Fort Wayne was 14.91 as of 2012
"Emergency Medical Technician: Educational Requirements." Study.com. Study.com, n.d. Web. 09 Sept. 2015.
"Do You Know What You're Worth?" Salary.com Salary Wizard. Salary.com, n.d. Web. 09 Sept. 2015.
"ExploreHealthCareers.org."EmergencyMedicalTechnician/Paramedic.Exploreheathcareers.org, n.d. Web. 09 Sept. 2015.