Dragon Roar: 3.17. 2020
Daring Greatly in Faith, Academics & Service since 1960
Jumping into Digital Learning!
Good afternoon, Dragons,
I welcome you to charting the unknown together rooted in faith, academics, and service.
Today I digitally "met" with the SMCS team as well as all Archdiocesan Principals with our Superintendent. What is consistent, we have no idea where we are headed and are working our hardest to be fair and timely in communications, practice, and ministry.
I ask for your continued prayers, to social distance, stay home if you are sick, and help us together dare greatly through this unprecedented time. I thank you for your support messages and questions. We are in this together, Dragons, and your Catholic school community is here to support you.
Facts for Now:
1) Our government has asked to stay in groups of 10 or less.
2) Extended School Spring Break is still on through the 20th so our teachers can get everything in one place for you.
3) Remote/Online Classes begin on Monday, March 23, see below for details on what this will look like.
4) The plan, for now, is to resume school on Monday, April 6. We will know for certain if this is even feasible over the next two weeks. I will update you as soon as I know.
5) We are paying full salaries to all of our employees through April 3. Everything after will be determined with justice to our families.
United front. Need your help:
1) Flexibility and Patience with Online learning. March 23, online classes begin. Be patient with your teachers and all of our learning curves. Online schedules are being coordinate amongst our teachers as we know many of you have multiple children and your own work schedules. Our teachers also have their own kids that are home. Everything will be recorded so you can complete it on your own timeline if you can't tune in at scheduled times.
2) We will have a carline for supplies for your family open on Friday from 1PM to 6PM and Saturday from 8AM to 1PM. You must sign up on the signup genius below. We will have supplies needed to complete your assignments, books, games, extra toilet paper, and sanitizer if you need it, Chromebooks or iPads if you do not have tech devices at home and prayer resources for your family. All families are to remain in cars and we will send our team to the classroom to get locker items or anything from the classroom that you may need. Additionally, we will have ALL of your medications, EPI Pens, Inhalers ready for you so that you may take it home.
3) Finances: I will be suspending all incidental payments, effectively immediately (i.e. billing for monthly after school care--anything that is NOT tuition) and our early registration rates for next year will be extended through the 1st day of the new school year. Please know that we realize the financial strain on our families given this emergency and all its variables. We are analyzing our financials in terms of what can be done to ease the strain on our families. It's not clear what we will do--but trust we will do something. We are coming up with options that balance our commitment to our community and the school's current and future obligations, including our commitment to maintaining salaries for our employees. There is a solution out there and we are working on it. We will send school-wide communication once we know more.
4) Is this your situation---I have to pay for daycare at this time because my employer is still making me report in and am still paying tuition. Help!! Please send me a direct email at firstname.lastname@example.org if this is your current situation so we can help you!
See below for what remote learning will look like! You will receive more information about your specific classes on Friday from your teachers. We are excited about our teacher's creativity. We all miss the Dragon community so much and can't wait to connect with you digitally!!
While exceptional circumstances require the closure of our campuses brings uncertainty and challenge, as Disciples of Christ with hope to bring, we see this as an opportunity to find new ways to encounter one another and accompany our students in their learning.
Prayers and blessings,
Ms. Salazar and your Dragon SMCS TEAM
Sign Up Here to Pick Up Your Supply Bag! If times do not work for you, email Ms. Salazar.
Ren Web: Parents Web
Stay plugged in to your student's academic needs! Please make sure you have a family account on Ren Web/. Attached is a tutorial to create your account in english and espanol.
District Code for St. Monica's: SMC-TX
What will remote learning look like?
- Online using RenWeb and Google Classroom. Both links with directions will be sent to you.
- Packets and workbook work also sent home, especially for younger grades.
- Students will need--a device beyond a cell phone (Xbox and PlayStation all can work with google classroom) and internet connection. We will provide devices for families with multiple children and no devices at home.
- See attached document below with our distance learning plan with required minutes and teacher guidelines.
- We will use IXL Math, Mystery Science, Faith First and Learning A to Z --all of which our students have log on's for their classroom that will be shared with you to access. We have already been using this software in school.
- An attitude of learning together and patience with each other.
What is your family up to? Keep us in the loop!
Help! What can I do with my kids?
Every day at 12PM, Lunchtime Doodles with Children's Author and Illustrator, Mo Williams.
Tour Worldwide Museums
Home Helper Ideas!
Choice is KEY: Home Learning Choice Board
Apps for Students with Learning Accommodations
Planning Ahead and Getting Ready for 2020-2021 with Divine Providence
Tuition Assistance for 2020-2021 Year? Apply Now!
Summer Fun for PreK3 to 8th Grade!
Summer Sports Camps Heading Your Way for 5th to 8th Grade!
Session 1: Basketball, 9AM to 12PM, $50 per student, M to F, July 20
Session 2: Soccer, 9AM to 12PM, $50 per student, M to F, July 27
Session 3: Volleyball, Time TBA, $50 per student, M to F, Aug 3
$50 for first sport, $75 for multiple! Registration Included in form below.
Summer Mariachi Camp for 4th to 8th Grade!
Before/After Camp childcare available.
Student must have basic proficiency in instrument: Violin, Viola, Trumpet, Guitarron (Bass), Vihuela, Guitar or Vocals
Mariachi Summer Camp, M to F, Aug. 3, 1PM to 3PM, $75
Registration Included in form below.
Spring Semester Events: See Website for More Details and a Downloadable Calendar
BOLDED DATES ARE UPDATED!
3-16 to 3-20: Extended Spring Break
3-23 to 4-3: Remote Learning
April Month of the Military Child (ALL APRIL and beyond EVENTS TBD by end of March)
4-2-2020 8th Grade Confirmation Liturgy
4-6-2020 to 4-10-2020 National Library Week
4-8-2020 Holy Week Mass, 8:15AM
4/10/2020 to 4/13/2020 Holy Week Break
4-13-2020 Easter Monday Holiday, Inclement Weather Makeup Day
4-20-2020 Guitar Program Dress Rehearsal
4-21-2020 Guitar Program Performance!
4-22-2020 Q4 Progress Reports Sent Home
4-23-2020 Fiesta Field Day
4-24-2020 No School, Battle of Flowers
4-26-2020 School Mass @ Parish 11 AM, Parish Festival, Sponsored by Middle School
4-29-2020 Spring Clubs End
Athletic Banquet, TBD
May Mental Health Awareness Month
5-1-2020 Crowning Of Mary at Mass
5-2-2020 2nd grade 1st Communion Mass, 9:30AM
5-4-2020 to 5-8-2020 Teacher Appreciation Week
5-12-2020 School Talent Show, 6PM to 7:30PM
5-15-2020 Early Release
5-22-2020 BETA CLUB MIDDLE SCHOOL DANCE, 5:30PM to 7:30PM
5-25-2020 Memorial Day Holiday, Inclement Weather Makeup Day
5-26-2020 8th Grade Q4 Report Cards sent home
5-27-2020 8th Grade Graduation and Mass, Last Day for 8th Grade!
5-31-2020 School Mass @ Parish 11 AM, Sponsored by 8th Grade
6-1-2020 Kinder Graduation, 8:30AM All School Awards Assembly, 2:00PM
6-2-2020 Last Day of School, Early Release
6-3-2020 to 6-4-2020 Teacher Work Days