February 23, 2018
Have you ever played Where’s Waldo? If not, now is your chance!! Check out our 2017-2018 yearbook cover! Do you see yourself? Every single little box is a picture of an SMS student or faculty member! #SMSLegit
Yearbooks go on sale today! During homeroom, students will receive order forms. Parents have a choice to order ONLINE or pay at SMS at the collection table on the mornings of March 6, 8, 13, and 15. The collection table will be set up in the main hallway. Online orders start today! You can find the link on the SMS web site.
The deadline to order a yearbook is March 16th. No extra yearbooks will be ordered. If you want one, order one! Don't miss out!
ISTEP+ Part 1 Schedule
It's here! It's here! ISTEP+ week is here!
Here is a quick reminder of our operational test schedule for the next two weeks. Check it out and make a note of your testing dates on your personal calendars.
Tuesday, Feb. 27 AM- Part 1 Math on iPads for ALL STUDENTS
Wednesday, Feb. 28 AM- Part 1 ELA, Section 1 on iPads for ALL STUDENTS
Thursday, March 1 AM- Part 1 ELA, Section 2 on macs for 6th GRADE only
Monday, March 5 AM- Part 1 ELA., Section 2 on macs for 7th GRADE only
Monday, March 5 AM- Part 1 Science on iPads for 6th GRADE only
Tuesday, March 6 AM- Part 1 ELA, Section 2 on macs for 8th GRADE only
Tuesday, March 6 AM- Part 1 Social Studies on iPads for 7th GRADE only
- Get 8 hours of sleep the night before each test. To get better sleep, make sure you are off digital screens at least one hour before you go to bed.
- Eat a protein-based breakfast. Avoid sugary cereals, donuts, or sweet drinks. Go for eggs, or some old school peanut-butter.
- Bring a positive attitude. Attitude is everything! Enter a testing session with the mindset that there will be challenges and that you will persevere and do your best on every test item.
- Bring a fully charged iPad. Epic fail if you don't have juice for your device!
- Listen to instructions. Following your test proctor instructions will help you successfully launch the test AND help you navigate it once you are in the test!
- Show your math work. Remember that the Part 1 tests grade your process as well as your work! You won't earn full points if you don't show your work!
- Stay engaged. Read items carefully. Answer thoroughly. Check your work. Don't race. (Unlike the Olympics, there is no award for being first!) Don't disrupt others. And don't put your head down. If you finish early, there is no 'next thing.' You'll need to sit quietly until the test period is over.
NWEA & ISTEP ENGAGEMENT BONUS
We're excited to announce our spring test engagement bonus! Students that meet the test engagement expectations for ISTEP+ Part 1 and March NWEA will find a new group of apps in their app portals on April 2nd. Those apps include Disney Crossy Road, Subway Surfer, Plants vs. Zombies, Color Switch, Unblock Me, Temple Run, and Nascar Heat!
Spring Ball Tryouts
SMS Baseball Tryouts: Feb 26, 27, and 28 from 3:15-5:00 PM in the West Gym
See Mr. Smith or Mrs. Manns if you have any questions.
Mon. Feb. 26: B day, Archery 3-4:30, Wrestling v. Salem, Baseball and Softball tryouts begin
Tue. Feb. 27: A day, ISTEP+ 6-7-8 Math, FACS Club 3-4, Yearbook 3-4, Archery 3-4:30
Wed. Feb. 28: B day, Cross 7:15am, ISTEP+ 6-7-8 ELA Section 1, Archery, 3-4:30, Builders Club 3-4, Swimming v. Charlestown
Thu. Mar. 1: A day, ISTEP+ 6 ELA Section 2, Archery 3-4:30, Swimming v. Salem, Wrestling @ New Washington, Golf meeting 3:15-3:30
Fri. Mar. 2: B day, SADD lunch meetings
Sat. Mar. 3: Wrestling @ SIWC Championships