A newsletter for LMES teachers, parents, & students
Holiday Book Lists
- 2015 Guide Book to Gift Books: Over 300 titles, annotated and organized by age group, will help you select the perfect books for giving and receiving this holiday season (you can even download the PDF to your smartphone and have it on hand while shopping).
- 30 Best Christmas Children's Books
- Common Sense Media's Holiday Books for Kids
The Library is a Busy Place!
Since the beginning of school until Thanksgiving break, the library media center was booked for various lessons, activities, and class checkouts. See the stats below!
- 341 class checkouts
- 195 library lessons - Mrs. Matney has instructed students on library skills, book care, catalog search features, just right books, book talks, the SC Book Award Challenge, text features, reference materials, genres, author's purpose, as well as offered themed storytimes.
- 25 research lessons - Mrs. Matney has collaborated with teachers on the SC regions, the First Thanksgiving, and MultiGenre "expert" projects.
- 400 library materials are circulated (on average) per day
- 23,939 library materials have been circulated since the beginning of school
- 121 FollettShelf e-books and audiobooks have been circulated since the beginning of school
Stay tuned to see what 2016 brings!
Becoming a Digital Citizen
Books about Bullying
Our News Team Rocks!
Our Book Fair was a success!
Box Tops for Education Contest Winner
15,863 Box Tops were collected during the Box Tops for Education contest. The Media Center will receive a check for $1,586.30 for what is basically trash! Congratulations to 1st Grade. They won the Box Tops contest and will receive a prize from the Media Center. Please continue to collect Box Tops. We will have another contest in the spring. Money raised is used to support library programs such as author visits and the SC Book Award Challenge.
Mrs. Matney earned her Masters+30 in Library & Information Science and has been the media specialist at LMES for the past 5 years. She loves reading, research, and technology. Her favorite authors and illustrators include Peter Brown, Mo Willems, Meghan McCarthy, Amy Rosenthal, Jon Scieszka, Gary Schmidt, and many more!
The mission of the LMES Library Media Program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information and to empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, ethical users of information, and productive users of technology.