New religious movement
Marissa Hackl & Stephanie Gross
Goals of the movement (part 2)
- receive spiritual or supernatural powers
- accomplish the goals they desire
Figures and quotes
"Even though we are deceived, still believe. Though we are betrayed, still forgive. Love completely even those who hate you."
Miller Williams- believed that Jesus would come between March 21, 1843-44
"“Have compassion for everyone you meet, even if they don't want it. What appears bad manners, an ill temper or cynicism is always a sign of things no ears have heard, no eyes have seen. You do not know what wars are going on down there where the spirit meets the bone.”
Hare Krishina- originated from the Hindu god, Krishina. They tried to follow by giving their lives to the religion through their eating, the way the dressed, and worshiped.
Mysticism- knowledge about God that can be given through ones intuition
Materialism- giving objects more meaning than spiritual values
Authoritarian leaders- leaders who decide how you're going to live your life, including your goals
Together we stand (part 1)
Mission Statement: Our goal for together we stand is to create a new meaning of life by incorporating other people in each other's lives as much as possible. Most people spend their lives only worrying and thinking about themselves but Together We Stand practices helping others and making sure that people are treated fairly as possible.
Motto: “So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them"
1. What is another name for Unification Church?
C. The Kingdom of God on Earth
D. Church of Christ
2. What is a main goal of the New Religious Movement?
A. To not accomplish anything
B. To make material things a central aspect of life
C. To receive spiritual or supernatural powers
D. To help others
- "mysticism." The Free Dictionary. Farlex, n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014. <http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Mysticism>.
- Rubinstein, Murray. "new religious movement (NRM)." Encyclopedia Britannica Online. Encyclopedia Britannica, n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1007307/new-religious-movement-NRM>.
- Appleby, Joyce Oldham. The American republic since 1877. Teacher Wraparound ed. New York: Glencoe McGraw-Hill, 2003. Print.
- "Sun Myung Moon Quotes." BrainyQuote. Xplore, n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014. <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/sun_myung_moon.html>.
- "Miller Williams > Quotes." Miller Williams Quotes (Author of Patterns of Poetry). N.p., n.d. Web. 14 Apr. 2014. <http://www.goodreads.com/author/quotes/118962.Miller_Williams>.