Off the 'Mont
December 2014 Newsletter
I am trying something new!
WCSA OV/Off-Campus Senate Representative
Finals are coming. Are you stressed? Watch this and smile.
Stressed About Finals, Remember These Simple Tips:
Feeling stressed is an entirely natural process. Stress can be a motivator; however, stress can also de-motivate you and make you feel overwhelmed. Finals is a huge source of stress, and we hope to give you a few tips these next few weeks to help manage stress in a healthy and productive way.
If you feel yourself getting overwhelmed, use this advice to get an immediate handle on your stress levels.
• Breathe deeply. This will reoxygenate your blood and help you take a few moments to step back from a stressful situation.
• Do something comforting. Are you hungry? Thirsty? Do you feel a headache coming on? Briefly changing scenery by walking to the water fountain or stepping out on the balcony will help you refocus
• Use breaks to optimize productivity. If your specific task is something you can put down for a short while, do so. When you’re stressed out, you often aren’t doing your best work anyway. . In fact, research suggests that taking breaks every 25 minutes from studying will help you retain information quicker.
• Laugh! You’ve heard that laughter is the best medicine, and that holds true for the brain and the memory as well as the body. Watch a funny movie, be silly, fake laugh – do whatever it takes to just enjoy this season. Laughing chemically produces chemicals that help regulate stress.
Holiday Events in Santa Barbara
Fun and Ugly, Frost & Bubbly
RIVERBENCH WINERY (Funk Zone)
FRIDAY 12/12 @ 5:00 PM
Riverbench Wineries in the Funk Zone is hosting a classy 21+ party, for those interested in bringing in the Christmas Season with yummy bubbly. Wear an ugly sweater, frost some cookies, and drink a good glass of sparkling wine for $15. Cheers to Christmas fun in the Funk Zone!
29th Annual Holiday Parade of Lights at the Harbor
Between SB YACHT CLUB & EAST BEACH
5:30 PM PARADE
7:00 PM FIREWORKS
Imagine all the pretty boats of the harbor parading along the Santa Barbara coastline with Christmas lights. This is Santa Barbara's unique way of bringing in the holiday. The SB parade may be lame, but do not fret ... we have "The Parade of Lights" which is infinitely much better. Bring a chair and a nice warm blanket. Come early to get a great seat and take part in the festivities. The best viewing is on Stearns Wharf and the Breakwater. Fireworks will end the night, so you can snuggle closely with friends and potential hotties.
Christmas Gift Ideas
This could be the next big thing. YOU could make this trendy.
Nose Shower Gel Dispenser
Not sure what this is about...
Hair Catcher for Cutting Hair
Sensible and practical
Ocean View Apartment of the Month
1) Does your apartment have a nickname? What is it? How was that name chosen?
Kitten Corral, because before formal we had lots of kittens in here and it fell into place. MEOW.
2) If you could remodel one room in your apartment what would you do to it?
We think it would be really nice if we could have a jacuzzi in our living room. Everyone needs a good stress reliever, right?
3) If friends visit they better not forget a mug and a juicy update.
Residents of the Kitten Corral: Brooke Leadbetter, Sydney Striff, and Emily Eaton
Off Campus Residence of the Month
1) Does your house have a nickname? What is it? How was that name chosen?
The Homeless House. we weren't able to move into our house the entire first month of the semester. So, we had to sleep in our cars, find couches, and spend nights in friends dorm rooms. Therefore, we were known as the homeless kids
2) The unique aspect or part of your house is that we're the only people to live here in the last 30 years.
3) If friends visit they better not forget more friends.
Residents of the Homeless House: Cal Roberts and Blake Hughes