LHS Dual Enrollment for 2018-2019
Earn college credit while in high school - FOR FREE!!!
A sophomore taking Japanese, a junior taking HTML5 Programming, a senior taking Calculus II... What course would you take? Think we offer a lot of courses at Lakeland? Wait until you see a college course catalog! Philosophy, psychology, business, computer science, world language, science, history...
Dual Enrollment offers eligible students of all grades the opportunity to take college coursework while still enrolled in Lakeland High School.
Sound like something you might be interested in? Fill out this Dual Enrollment Interest Form to get more information from Mr. Dougherty and to receive a pass to the Dual Enrollment Information Session on May 30th during seminar in the LGI.
How Dual Enrollment Works
For most Lakeland students who dual enroll through Oakland Community College, this covers the entire tuition cost for the course (and even leaves some money leftover to reimburse part of your textbook purchases!).
Steps to Dual Enroll:
- Complete the Dual Enrollment Interest Form (even if you're currently in dual enrollment or have previously dual enrolled).
- Research where you want to take a college course, what type of course you want to take, and see if the course is offered at a time that works around your existing high school and activity schedules.
- Complete required paperwork (college application, dual enrollment application, and verification of enrollment) with Mr. Dougherty in the Counseling Office.
- Take the course, earn a good grade, and submit your grades to Mr. Dougherty in the Counseling Office.
Why Dual Enrollment?
- A senior who has met most of his/her high school graduation requirements and wants to take relevant, challenging courses to prepare for college.
- Any student who wants to take a course that we don't offer at Lakeland or that cannot fit into his/her high school schedule.
- Any student who has maxed out our curriculum in a particular area and wants to take a more challenging class than Lakeland offers.
- Any student who wants to get a head start on college and save hundreds of dollars per course on college tuition.
Other perks for dual enrollment:
- You get release time for one hour of your high school schedule for each dual enrollment course you take. (Ex. A senior taking American Sign Language at OCC has release time for 6th hour on her Lakeland schedule. She gets to leave every day after 5th hour.)
- You get documented high school credit (no grade) and you have earned college credit on your college transcript.
- You can start fulfilling general education requirements for a bachelor's degree program with your dual enrollment coursework.
Other Requirements for Dual Enrollment
- Students must schedule dual enrollment courses around their high school schedule. Students CANNOT enroll in a course that conflicts with the required attendance for high school classes.
- Must submit all paperwork by required deadlines (college application, dual enrollment application, verification of enrollment).
- Cannot take courses that are a hobby, craft, recreational or in the areas of physical education, theology, divinity, or religious education.
- Minimum Qualifying Scores