News and Notes
December 4, 2015
Our Awesome Educator of the Week is:
The future is ours because of what you do
Now you get the Lucky Longhorn Spot too!
The Future Is Ours...
Remember to tweet and hashtag :)
Don't forget to follow @lakesidecoppell
Thanks for keeping up the tweeting:
Melissa, Lauren, Frankie, Molly,
Lisa, Missy, Becca, Carla, Katie,
SaraBeth, Cindy, Kirby, Jan, Mary...
Let me know if I missed you :)
The Holidays Are Upon Us
Here's a strategy you can try....
3 things you found out
2 interesting things
1 question you still have
3 differences between ___
2 effects of __ on ____
1 question you still have about the topic
3 important facts
2 interesting ideas
1 insight about yourself as a learner
3 key words
2 new ideas
1 thought to think about
Write 3 questions about the text (unfamiliar words, confusing passages or ideas)
Write 2 predictions based on the text (what will happen next based on the reading)
Make one connection based on the text (connect to something you know or have
Last Week I Shared:
The teacher creates a spinner marked into 4 quadrants and labeled “Predict, Explain,
Summarize, Evaluate.” After new material is presented, the teacher spins the spinner and asks spinner lands in the “Summarize” quadrant, the teacher might say, “List the key concepts just presented.”
Trainings & Curriculum Updates
In an effort to keep you fully informed I'm including a link to the Curriculum Courier (admin newsletter). This link will give you access to current and past issues of the newsletter. The Courier will provide you with pertinent information for your grade and content area. Although some weeks are more informative than others you should try to review it regularly.
Annelise to AP Meeting on 12/9
Content Specialists to Meetings (Missy, Becca, Kelly, Teri) on 12/10
Gema (am) and Annelise (pm) to Stepping Up Training (not a dance class)
Jan to Counselor's Meeting on 12/17
Coaches Meeting on 1/4 (yes, January - yikes)
Gema to Principal's Meeting on 1/12
Annelise and Content Specialists to their meeting on 1/14
Kelly Fischer to Global Connections Meeting on 1/21
Gema to TASA and Principal's Meeting 1/25-29
Jan to Counselor's Meeting on 1/28
KN2K (Knows & Need to Knows)
UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN - UbD
Some things you should know for now (all subject to change based on future training)
- APs, District Coaches, and Campuses Coaches will all be trained as trainers. That will give us about 6 UbD "experts" Here to aid in the transition. They are: Me, Annelise, Maureen, Lisa, Megan, Ana
- I have the opportunity to invite 1 or 2 educators to participate in Trainer of Trainers training. Gayla & Skye will be our campus reps.
- Please keep your eyes open for our training plan :).
- Expectations for campus UbD process will be established and shared for the remainder of this school year and for next year.
What can you do in the meantime?
- Keep thinking about backwards design, PBL, and lesson design.
- Review The Learning Framework and our district philosophy in these areas.
- Reflect on your day to day and content to content practice.
- Think about the questions you might have.
- Smile and keep doing the great things you are doing!
4) Barnes and Noble PTO Party
5) Coppell's Holiday Parade ( I think I may have agreed to be in it)
7) Staff Meeting Monday followed by Staff Party that Night at Cacey's
7) 10 DAYS OF FITNESS KICKS OFF
9) New (this year) to Lakeside Mini Meeting at 3 in B106
10) 2nd Grade Program
11) CISD Open House - Choir will perform at the district
14) 5th Grade Spelling Bee
14-15) Hour of Code (over the course of 2 days)
- You can see the proposed schedule here
16) School Wide Kindness Celebration
- (additional details forthcoming - schedule and buddies shared)
17) Class Parties (2nd, Kdg, 1st, 4th, 3rd)
18) Class Parties (5th), Modified Schedule and EARLY RELEASE FOR KIDS @ 12:50
4) It's time to come back
11) Staff meeting with PTO Sustenance
15) Spirit Rally to focus on CARING & End of the 2nd 9 weeks (We are half way through)
19) Grade Due
21) 4th Grade Program and Parent Learning Walks at 9 and 1
22) Report Cards go home
30) LAKESIDE CARNIVAL
20) Sonya Green (Not May even though I still find myself typing that)
24) Dani Todd
25) Barbara Arnt
25) Katherine Broadhurst (even though she too will forever be Horton)
25) Dawn Rehling
- Does anyone think it's odd that we have 3 bdays on Christmas Day?
28) Teri Keith
28) Dan Thompson
- Twins/Not Twins
Wednesdays will be College Days for staff and students
Fridays with a Lakeside or CISD Tee