The Principal's Message
Cambridge School's Weekly Parent Newsletter
~ The Upcoming Week ~
1.26.15 - Monday
- Book Fair
- Board of Education Meeting 7:30pm
1.20.15 - Tuesday
- Book Fair
1.21.15 - Wednesday
- Book Fair
1.22.15 - Thursday
- Book Fair
1.23.15 - Friday
~ IMPORTANT NOTES ~
FROM THE PRINCIPAL'S DESK
Thank you for another great week at Cambridge! Staff and students, alike, have been working hard to increase their knowledge and skills.
On Wednesday, February 4th, a team of teachers and I will be presenting an informational session for parents regarding the upcoming PARCC testing. This presentation will take place following the regularly scheduled PTO meeting on Wednesday, February 4th starting at 6:30pm. A flyer went home yesterday for all 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. PLEASE RSVP, so we can plan the appropriate number of materials. (There is no babysitting for this event.)
"Spring Enrichment Club" forms will go home today. There is a short turnover for enrollment. All forms are due back by Friday, February 6th. A digital copy is available on the Friday Folder.
Finally, we are looking forward to a wonderful Book Fair sponsored by the PTO this coming week. Students will be able to browse and then shop for books from Scholastic. Thank you, in advance, for your support.
NOTE: There are several coats in the lost and found. Please be sure to check the bins located in the hallway by the library.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Mrs. Capes :)
SIGN UP BY JANUARY 31st!!!
SB BASEBALL AND SOFTBALL: The South Brunswick Athletic Association donated small stress balls to every child to help kick off registration for the upcoming spring season of baseball and softball. Congratulations to those students who have signed up for SBAA Softball and Baseball! As a reminder, the school who has the most participants in SBAA will receive a $500 grant for their PE Program.
Cambridge now has 35 students registered at the moment. Click HERE to register NOW!! The promotion ends on JANUARY 31st!! REGISTER NOW!!
~ PTO NEWS ~
All January Clubs have started this week and payment for participation has been given to the PTO Treasurer. Below is a recap of the clubs:
TUESDAYS - January 6 – February 10 - 3:30 – 4:30
- Kindergarten and 1st Grade Super Science (Pick up is at the middle modular unit)
- Stock Market Game Club – Tuesday Group (Pick up is at the 4th and 5th Grade dismissal doors (A-22) facing Cambridge Road)
WEDNESDAYS - January 7 – February 11 - 3:30 – 4:30
- 2nd and 3rd Grade Super Science (Pick up is at the middle modular unit)
- Stock Market Game Club – Wednesday Group (Pick up is at the 4th and 5th Grade dismissal doors (A-22) facing Cambridge Road)
WEDNESDAYS - January 7 – February 11
****3:30 – 5:30****
- COUGAR STUDIOS (Pick up is at the main entrance)
FRIDAYS - January 9 – February 13 - 3:30 – 4:30
- 4th and 5th Grade Super Science (Pick up is at the middle modular unit)
WHEN THE WEATHER IS INCLEMENT, PLEASE CHECK YOUR E-MAIL FOR ANY POSSIBLE CHANGES IN PROGRAMING. ANY SESSION CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER WILL BE MADE UP BY EXTENDING THE PROGRAM AN ADDITIONAL WEEK/SESSION FOR EACH CLASS MISSED AND/OR EXTENSION OF CLASS TIME.
IMPORTANT: Please allow ample time to park and arrive safely on time. Any student left past the dismissal time (and is not enrolled in the Community Education After School Program) will be sent to the After School Program and a $25 non-negotiable fee will be assessed. Habitual offenders will be dis-enrolled from the Club Program and refunds will not be given. Please make every attempt to make alternate pick up arrangements if you cannot be on time.
*Unless your child is enrolled in the Community Education After School Program, please do not ring the buzzers to be let into the building.
Thank you for your cooperation!
From the Health Office
Give Kids A Smile Day
Friday, February 6, 2015
Free dental care for your child age 12 or younger. Appointments fill quickly, so don't delay. For more information, see the Friday Folder, go to www.njda.org, or call Mrs Guidice, our school nurse for more information.
SPECIAL NOTE TO Fifth Grade Parents:
The New Jersey Department of Health requires two additional immunizations for all students. Upon turning 11 years old and entering sixth grade, students are now required to receive the DTap and Meningococcal vaccine. Please speak with your doctor regarding these vaccines. The South Brunswick Board of Education also strongly recommends a physical examination during this developmental stage. If you have any questions, please call our nurse, Mrs. Dawn Guidice at 732-297-2941 x 3553.
People are exposed to infectious agents (bacteria, viruses, parasites) through the air, water, food, blood and other body fluids. Many infectious diseases can be prevented by following these guidelines:
- Keep immunizations up to date for children and adults. Speak to your doctor about the flu shot if you haven’t already received it.
- Use antibiotics exactly as prescribed and only when needed.
- Report to your doctor any worsening infection that does not get better after you take a prescribed antibiotic.
- When sick, allow time to heal and recover.
- Wash your hands frequently-before eating, before preparing food, after using the bathroom, after blowing your nose or coughing and sneezing into your hands and after touching an animal.
- Do not touch your face to avoid the transfer of germs into your body via your mouth, nose or eyes.
Guidelines for Sending Children to School
Parents are often concerned about their child missing school and may send a child back too soon after an illness. This not only exposes other children to disease but also puts the returning child at risk of relapse or contracting another illness that may be going around at school. Keep a child home from school if he/she:
- Has had a fever (a temperature of over 100 degrees) in the last 24 hours
- Has nausea and vomiting or has had diarrhea
- Has vomited during the night
- Has been exposed to a contagious disease and is exhibiting symptoms of that disease
- A child should be fever free, without the use of fever reducing medications (Tylenol, Advil), for 24 hours before returning to school. A fever refers to a temperature of 100 degrees or more.
- A child diagnosed with strep throat should be on antibiotics for 24 hours and be feeling well before returning to school.
- Children who have been home because of illness should not be brought to school for parties and/or special events on that day.
Dawn Guidice, RN, School Nurse
- January 26th - 29th - Book Fair
- January 26th - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
- February 4th - PTO Meeting 6:30pm
- February 4th - Parent Workshop on PARCC @ Cambridge School
- February 5th - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Professional Development
- February 9th - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
- February 12th - SB Parent Academy: Google Drive
- February 16th - NO SCHOOL - President's Day
- February 18th - Kindergarten Registration for 2015-2016 (Tell your friends!)
- February 20th - PTO EVENT: BINGO NIGHT!
- February 23rd - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
- February 25th - 5th Grade Trip to See Crossroads South Musical
- February 26th - SB Parent Academy - The Power of Introverts
- March 2nd - WEEK OF 3rd Grade PARCC Testing
- March 2nd - Philly Zoo Assembly (Pre- School, Kindergarten, and 1st Grade)
- March 4th - PTO Meeting
- March 6th - PTO EVENT: 5th Grade Winter Fest
- March 9th - WEEK of 4th Grade PARCC Testing
- March 9th - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
- March 10th - Science Can Dance Workshops for 2nd Grade (Part I)
- March 12th - Science Can Dance Workshops for 2nd Grade (Part II)
- March 13th - PTO EVENT: Skate Night - 5:30 - 7:30pm @ ProSkate
- March 16th - WEEK of 5th Grade PARCC Testing
- March 19th - SB Parent Academy - Financial Literacy
- March 23rd - Make-up Testing (if needed)
- March 23rd - Board of Education Meeting - 7:30pm
- March 24th - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Spring Conferences
- March 25th - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Spring Conferences
- March 25th - Lenape Museum for 3rd Grade
- March 26th - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Spring Conferences
- March 27th - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Spring Conferences
- March 30th - April 3rd - NO SCHOOL - SPRING BREAK