Membership of the Senate
- constitution says that senators must be at least 30.
- live in the United States for at least 9 years.
- must be legal residents of the state they represent.
Term of Office
- Are held in November on even numbered years
- Senators begin their terms on January 3, after the election held in previous November.
- 6 year terms
- Only one-third of the senators would run for reelection every 2 years
- If sentor dies or resigns before the end of the term, the state legislature may authorize the governor to appoint someone to fill the vacancy until the next election.
Salary and Benifits
- Makes 174,000 a year.
- Get to pick their own pay.
Privileges of Members
- They are free from arrest except for treason, felony, and branch of peace.
- Cannot be sued for anything they say in House or Senate floor
- Each house may refuse to seat an elected member by majority vote.
- Each house can punish its own member for his or her behavior.