Raureka School Term 1 Week 2
Newsletter 8 February 2023
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
I hope you all had a great break over the long weekend and got to enjoy the summery weather.
Classroom programmes are quickly getting underway now and children and teachers are setting up their routines for an effective class.
We're looking forward to a great year with lots of exciting things.
Our Senior Swimming sports will be held next Wednesday morning, 15th February from 9:30 a.m., and will be finished by 12:30 so the children can home after that. Parents are most welcome to come and watch this event.
We will pick our inter-school representatives from this day.
It is our first house event for the year, remember every event entered gives your house a point.
Thanks to everyone who has bought the stationery, if you haven't got it yet you can buy from the school office.
Year Children will be going Optimist Yachting in Week 4 , 20th-24th February. This year they will be having the afternoon session. This is a fantastic time where the children get to try something different. Please send permission slips back as soon as possible.
This year we will be having Breakfast on Monday and Wednesday from 8:00 until 8:30- everyone is able to come and join in. Shanny will start this on Monday 13th February.
Next week we will be back to our regular newsletters with lots of photos of what is happening.
Remember Meet the teacher Wednesday 15th February- School will close at 12:30 and all children will go home so that we can organise 10 minute conferences so our teachers can find out about your child so they can find ways to best support them in class. Conferences start at 1:00 and finish at 6:30.
Please make arrangements to pick your child up from school at 12:30. I have asked OSCAR if they will be open and they have agreed to this. If you want your child looked after please book in with them.
To book a conference please click on this link to do it and follow the steps to get it done.
When parents/whanau and teachers work together we can really help your child make great progress.
IMPORTANT - If your child is away from school -
Reminder that you need to PHONE OR TEXT the school know if your child is going to be away. Because of the current covid situation, it is essential that you let us know the reason they are away - eg coughing, headache, tummy bug etc.
You can phone 06 8789766 or text 027 557 0085 and leave a message.
Thank you for this, it is so helpful and we want to ensure your child is okay.
Have a great holiday
School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
IMPORTANT: Children are NOT to carry any form of medication in their bags etc (e.g. inhalers). All medication must be held in the office. Parents must complete a Medical Form to enable staff to administer medication.
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.