October 2, 2020
Greetings Sunny Heights Families,
The 1st Quarter of the school year has come to an end! I would like to thank everyone for the patience, flexibility, and outstanding effort to make this an AMAZING start despite all the challenges! We have spent the 1st Quarter connecting with students and building relationships with families that will lead to student success. I am very excited about the growth that I know our students will show this year.
Fall Break provides our students and staff an opportunity to rest and recharge. I hope everyone is able to enjoy the time with their loved ones. We have a lot of very important work to do the rest of the year. We look forward discussing that work when we meet and discuss your child's path to success during Parent Teacher Conferences on October 22.
I am so proud to have the privilege to be the principal of Sunny Heights Elementary!
As always, do not hesitate to reach out if you need anything.
Thank you for all that you do!
Principal, Sunny Heights Elementary
HAVE YOU FILLED OUT THE 2020 CENSUS YET!!! Deadline has been extended until October 5, 2020.
As always, thank you for your help in pushing this out to our community! Our messaging remains the same: Complete your 2020 Census today at 2020census.gov. Further resources can be found by visiting www.countmeindy.com.
- Have you filled out your #2020Census yet? If not, Indy could be missing out on up to $30,000 for each person who goes uncounted. This money goes towards programs like school lunches, housing assistance, healthcare, road repair, and more. Respond today at 2020census.gov.
- From school boards to the U.S. House of Representatives, the #census is used to distribute power to the people. The deadline to respond to the #2020Census is coming up. Fill yours out today by visiting 2020census.gov. #CountMeINdy
- #DYK: Despite rumors and misinformation, your individual #2020Census answers cannot be shared with ANYONE for 72 years - not law enforcement, immigration, or even the President of the United States. Respond today at 2020census.gov. #CountMeINdy
- The deadline to respond to the #2020Census is coming up, so do it today at 2020census.gov or by calling (844) 330-2020. Remember, everyone counts in the #census, regardless of immigration status. Whoever you are, wherever you’re from, YOU COUNT! #CountMeINdy
- Decisions about Indy's future – and the dollars for it – come down to counting everyone in the #2020Census. It’s safe and easy to complete. Fill yours out today at 2020census.gov. #CountMeINdy
Calendar of Events
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Fall Intersession - NO SCHOOL - 10/5th thru 10/16th
Coat4Kids - 10/17th (info below)
Parent/Teacher Conferences - 10/22nd
Time change - fall back - November 1st
Staff Professional Day - elearning day - 11/3rd
PTA skating party - 11/12th - 6:00-8:00 p.m.
Picture Re-Takes Day - 11/17th
Thanksgiving Break - 11/25th - 11/27th
#Coats4Kids online registration is officially open! Join us and our friends at WTHR-TV and Classic Cleaners for our annual event held on Saturday, October 17 at the Indiana State Fairgrounds Blue Ribbon Pavilion.
Due to the #covid19 pandemic, distribution will look a little different this year. If your child is in need of a winter coat this year, you must pre-register online and choose an appointment time to pick up a coat. #DoingTheMostGood #HoosiersHelpingHoosiers
For more information or to register online, please visit https://centralusa.salvationarmy.org/indiana/events/2020-coats-for-kids-online-registration/
Student Success Handbook
ALL STUDENTS - ATTENDANCE
For the 2020-2021 school year, Warren Township has transitioned to a new student information system called Synergy allowing our parents and caregivers to have improved access to school information through the parent portal called ParentVUE. We are aware that at this time some students’ attendance records are reflecting students are absent, when in fact they were present. This is mostly the case for our students who are attending school VIRTUALLY on application days or in the VIRTUAL opinion full-time. We want to assure you that teachers are keeping accurate attendance records and that we are working to correct attendance records for all our students.
BLACK AND GOLD VIRTUAL SCHEDULE
The following link is the Black & Gold virtual schedule.
All grades should be available on Oct 2nd.
5-8 - Deans will supply virtual citizenship grades
No Grade (NG) can only be used for students that have been with the teacher less than 10 days when grades are due.
Students will not receive music, art, PE or STEM grades on this report card.
STEM was not offered for K-4 this quarter
Related Arts was not assessed this quarter.
All conferences will be virtual.
Teachers will begin sharing their signups soon if they have not already done so.
Teachers will have a conference for every student they give a report card even if they are in a different class and setting.
Conferences will be held on October 22nd from 11am - 7PM.
All conferences are virtual or done via the phone.
Reports will not be printed. Parents need to use the ParentVue App.
Please continue to work with you teacher as we are fine tuning the use of the attendance app and/or Canvas!
All virtual students are now required to login to Canvas to validate their attendance every day of school. This includes direct instruction days, application days, and academic enrichment days. Please help your student login and submit their attendance each day.
1. Open the app called “V attendance” on your student’s iPad. It is black with a gold check mark.
2. Click the red button that says “Log into Google” to sign into the student’s google account. This is the same email and password that students use to log into Clever. Not sure about what this login information is? Email me!
3. You should now be logged into Canvas. Click on the box that says “Period 1”. It is outlined in yellow.
4. It will come up with a question about whether or not your student is attending that day. Click yes.
5. Click submit. You did it!
You may also continue to login through the Canvas app if it has been working for you. Please reach out with any questions! Thanks!
PBIS Weekly Focus @ Sunny Heights Elementary
Sunny Heights PTA
School District Publications/News Media Use
IMPORTANT: COVID-19 INFORMATION
Community Outreach Hotline: (317) 869-4308 or MSDWarrenOutreach@warren.k12.in.us
Learn at Home Hotline: (317) 608-0545
Chuck E. Cheese Resources
Warren Township School District has a new app and website! The purpose of the app and website is to provide regular updates through the live feed, district news, and
district events sections as well as other important district information. The app includes easy access to the weekly breakfast and lunch menu, staff contacts, district documents, bullying and safety reporting form, and much much more. The Warren app can be downloaded at the Apple and Android App Store. Stay informed and download the app today. The district website is www.warren.k12.in.us.
SUNNY HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY
11149 Stonybrook Drive, Indianapolis 46229
Phone: 532-2900; Fax: 532-2938
School hours: 8:05 a.m. to 3:05 p.m.
Follow Sunny Heights on Twitter @sunnyheightselem