AJS Weekly Bison Tracks
February 24, 2023
Returning Student Registration for 2023-24
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) will once again conduct an online returning student registration process to confirm student registrations for the 2023-24 school year. Families of all current students—with the exception of graduating Grade 12 students—must complete the process to confirm the school their child plans to attend in the 2023-24 school year or advise the Division of their plans not to return to EIPS. Additionally, students who want to attend a non-designated school need to make that request through the returning student registration process—acceptance is based on available space.
The 2023-24 returning student registration takes place Feb. 1-28, 2023.
Access to the Returning Student Registration Form is provided through the PowerSchool Parent Portal. If you don’t have a PowerSchool Parent Portal account, you need to set one up before Feb. 1, 2023. Create a PowerSchool Parent Portal account
For more information, contact the school office at 780-922-2228.
- February 27 & 28 - Grad Portraits - ICON
- February 28 - 2023-24 returning student registration closes
- February 28 - Student Council Twin Day
- March 1, 2:16 p.m. - Early Dismissal
- March 3 - Professional Learning Day (no school)
- March 7 , 4:15 p.m. - AMPS Band Meeting
- March 9 - 11, 7 p.m. - a.d.c Production - Radium Girls
- March 13 - Concrete Theatre - CTRL-ALT-DEL presentation for Junior High
- March 13, 6:30 p.m. - School Council Meeting
- March 15, 7:00 p.m. - Ardrossan Amateur Football Parents Association Annual General Meeting
- March 17 - Jazz Band Night
- March 20 - 24 - Francophonie week/semaine de la francophonie
- March 21 & 22 - Jostens Grad Rings/Jewelry
- March 21 & 22 - Parent/Student/Teacher Interviews
- March 22 - la semaine de la francophonie: Circo Balanzo (French Immersion Presentation)
- March 24 - 31 - Spring Break
- April 3 - Classes Resume
- April 3 -5 - Grad Portrait Retakes - Icon
- April 5, 2:16 p.m. - Early Dismissal
- April 7 - Good Friday (school closed)
- April 10 - Easter Monday (school closed)
- April 12 - EIPS RAP info night- AJS Theatre
Measuring Success: Complete this year’s Alberta Education Assurance Survey
Once again, Alberta Education is surveying teachers, students and families through its annual Alberta Education Assurance (AEA) Survey. The survey acts as an annual check-up on the province’s education system. Every year, Alberta Education conducts the survey to gather information about the quality of education provided by Alberta schools and school authorities. The survey looks at various measures such as education quality, citizenship, family involvement, engagement levels, school climate and student wellness.
Starting on February 21, Grade 7 and 10 students at Ardrossan Junior Senior High School are completing the survey online at the school. Student participation is voluntary and completely anonymous. Students are assigned a random username and password to ensure survey responses aren’t linked to any individual student. The survey doesn’t take long to complete and is done within the school day during regular class time.
Additionally, parents and guardians of students in these grades are also asked to take a survey, either online or by mail. Alberta Education will send families information about the survey directly. As with the student and teacher survey, it’s anonymous and asks questions about your school experiences. If you have a child in these grades, we encourage you to participate. The survey deadline is March 17, 2023.
Results from the AEA Survey are provided to Elk Island Public Schools each spring. The Division then uses the data to inform its four-year education plan, school education plans and strategies for continuous improvement. Each fall, the results are also shared with EIPS families and school communities in the Division’s Annual Education Results Report.
AEA Survey: Parent letter
AEA Survey: Methodology for rate calculationAssurance and Accountability: Alberta’s K-12 education system
April Diploma Sittings
Thank you again for your work with Semester 1 diplomas. If you would like to re-take a diploma exam please register in your MyPass (there is a small fee if it is a retake). Please do so by this upcoming Friday, February 24th.
Choose Ardrossan Jr. Sr. as a writing center.
Check our website calendar for writing dates. Please let your counsellor know that you have registered.
In the Spotlight
Commercial Foods Class
Our talented Commercial Foods class made beef stew and bannock for the EIPS Family Engagement Night for First Nations, Metis, and Inuit families. Well done
Black History Month Presentation
Students learned about the often-forgotten histories of early Black communities throughout Canada. Using OWTA’s trademark edutainment style that combines video, slam poetry, stand-up comedy, and audience participation & interaction, "Tracking Black" Canada highlighted the contributions and achievements made by prominent residents in these forgotten communities, illuminate the conditions that led to their systemic demise, and highlight how their impact is still felt today.
Forum Local d'Edmonton Fieldtrip
Les élèves d'Immersion 10 ont participé à plein de sessions culturelles et intéressantes (robotiques, échanges, carrières en justice...) au Forum Local d'Edmonton du Français Pour l'Avenir de Campus Saint-Jean. AJS représentait la MOITIÉ des élèves au forum. ALLEZ BISONS! [Points bonus si tu peux trouver le prof de Bio dans ces photos.]
French Immersion 10 students participated in many cultural sessions at French for the Future Edmonton. AJS was well represented as HALF of those that were at the forum.
Thank you to Toonies for Tummies
Ardrossan Drama Players
Check out the AJS Drama department website for more details and rehearsal schedules. Updates and announcements about the junior high and senior high shows will be found here.
ADC presents - Radium Girls
Tickets are FREE to reserve online, and DONATIONS will be gracefully accepted at the door. A suggested donation of $5 or more will go directly to our AJS Drama Department and future productions. Follow the link here: ADC2023.EVENTBRITE.COM You won't want to miss this show! Get your tickets now! Please contact Mrs. Pater (email@example.com) if you have any further questions.
2022 - 2023 Yearbooks
You can't stay in junior or senior high forever - but you can relive those memories over again.
Order your 2022 - 2023 yearbook today!
$43 on the Parent Portal
GRAD WEAR ORDER
There has been some inquiries from a few of you with regards to delivery of our grad wear order. Ms. Stefiuk contacted the company and at the time our store closed in mid December there was a back order on a few of the items/sizes ordered. This in turn caused a delay for our order to the printers. We were to be expecting delivery within 8 weeks of the store closing, meaning our original delivery date would have been sometime next week. This delay, however, has put us back by approximately 2 weeks. We have been advised that we are looking to have delivery at the end of February. Apologies for this delay.
GRADUATION PORTRAIT INFORMATION
Grad portraits have been scheduled for February 21-28, 2023. It is time for you to reserve your appointment. The booking will happen online so please make sure to reserve your spot as soon as possible.
- Go to www.iconexp.com and click the “Book Now” button • First Select an event Ardrossan Jr-Sr Grad Portraits (Taken @ Ardrossan in the Theatre Lobby)
- Select your Service ▪ Grad Portraits (At School-$30 Due at Portraits)
- Select your appointment from the available times and dates and complete all required information
You will receive a confirmation shortly after booking your appointment as well as a reminder the day prior to your appointment. Please contact Icon if you have any questions.
At the completion of your sitting, you will receive a receipt of your visit and some information detailing how to access your proofs. 5-7 business days after your sitting you will receive an email giving you access to view your proofs online. Shortly after that, you will receive a complete set of proofs in the mail. You can place your order either online or through the mail.
In order to ensure your safety and that of our staff we have made a few adjustments to our operations:
- If you are experiencing any symptoms related to Covid-19, as outlined by Alberta Health Services, please do not come to your appointment, we will be happy to reschedule you at a later date.
- At this time we will not be including pets, friends or family members in portrait sittings.
- We will only be accepting debit and credit for payment of sitting fees.
- The use of props provided by ICON is voluntary; we have implemented safety protocols for sanitizing props. Graduates may bring appropriate props to be included in their sitting.
- We suggest males wear a formal attire for the cap and gown photos – something you are comfortable in. The casual photos can be in any outfit you choose.
AJS School Council is excited to begin a weekly staff recognition initiative! The staff at AJS go above and beyond to care for our kids every single day. What better way to say "thank you" than with staff kudos!
Parents and students are welcome to fill out the Google form below, offering meaningful recognition to ANY member of the AJS staff. Your positive message will then be shared with the intended recipient.
Ardrossan Jr/Sr High Staff Recognition 2022-2023
Sometimes school can be tough... now is the chance to show your appreciation for the people that make the journey brighter along the way!
AJS Lunch time Intramurals
Good luck to our Archery team as they travel to a tournament in Wetaskiwin Saturday.
Good luck to our Jr. High teams as we host the Jr. Jr. Basketball Hoof Fest Classic Tournament this weekend!
- February 24-25 - Jr. Jr. Basketball Hoof Fest Classic Tournament
- February 28 @ 5:15 p.m. – Jr. Jr. Boys Basketball @ Sherwood Heights
- February 28 @ 4:00 p.m. – Jr. Jr. Girls Basketball @ Sherwood Heights
- February 28 @ 5:15 p.m. – Jr. Sr. Boys Basketball vs. Sherwood Heights
- February 28 @ 4:00 p.m. – Jr. Sr. Girls Basketball vs. Sherwood Heights
March 1 @ 4:00 p.m. – Jr. Sr. Girls Basketball @ Rudolph Hennig
March 1 @ 4:00 p.m. – Jr. Jr. Girls Basketball vs. Rudolph Hennig
March 1 @ 5:15 p.m. – Jr. Jr. Boys Basketball vs. Rudolph Hennig
March 1 @ 5:15 p.m. – Jr. Sr. Boys Basketball @ Rudolph Hennig
- March 14 - Jr. Jr. Basketball Quarter Finals
- March 14 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Quarter Finals
- March 16- Jr. Jr. Basketball Semi Finals
- March 16 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Semi Finals
- March 21 - Jr. Jr. Basketball Final
- March 21 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Playoffs
- March 22 - Jr. Sr. Basketball Final
- February 27, 3:30 - Sr. High Men Handball Tryouts
- March 1, 3:00 - Sr. High Men Handball Tryouts
Bison Football Players travel to international tournament
Duff and Doyle have been training alongside the Golden Bear football staff, player coaches, and Bears CFL alumni since December. The team has trained, studied and practiced together over several weekends during the winter months to prepare for the upcoming international tournament on February 24-26.
The Golden Bear Selects program aims to grow the individuals as players and teammates. They transfer the classroom instruction onto the field where they work with Usports and CFL players and coaches.
Congratulations Tristan and Cameron on your accomplishment. Go Bisons!
Annual General Meeting - Ardrossan Amateur Football Parents Association (AAFPA)
Come join the Annual General Meeting on Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 7:00 pm in the theatre lobby. There are many board and volunteer opportunities available and we will be discussing plans for the upcoming season. Everyone is welcome to attend.
Student Council News
Ardrossan Music Parents Association (AMPS)
Hello Band Family! Tonight is the …..
Band POPS Concert - Feb 24th at AJS! It may be cold, but we will be performing at the theatre for our annual POPS Concert. Donations are gratefully accepted and we will have water, popcorn and candy bags for sale. Come and hear music from popular movies with a bag of popcorn.
SCHOLARSHIPS!! AMPS supports our musicians in their post secondary endeavours? We offer scholarships to students accepted into a post-secondary music program (Major OR Minor). For more information, please reach out to the AMPS President (Lee Dempsey) for more information and requirements. ¯¯
Did you know we have social media? Find us at “Ardrossan Music Parent Association” on Facebook and on Instagram!
Our next AMPS meeting is Tuesday, March 7th at 4:15 pm in the band room. Everyone is welcome to attend. Don't forget to complete the AMPS Membership Form and either email it back to AMPSPres@gmail.com or send it to Mr. B! AMPS is a society and only 'members' can be involved.
Yours in Music,
Where to Find the Information You Need
Elk Island Public Schools and Ardrossan Jr. Sr. High use a handful of key systems to share information with students and families. Depending on the information you’re looking for, it’s important to know where to look.
PowerSchool is the primary student information system within the Division. There is an associated app, but the functionality is limited, and families don’t need to download it. From the PowerSchool Parent Portal, you can:
- Access student grades and report cards;
- Review student absences;
- Pay school and transportation fees; and
- Submit official updates to student or family information.
The PowerSchool Student Portal provides similar access to grades and absence information for students directly.
Brightspace provides more of a day-to-day look what’s happening with your child’s learning communicated directly from your child’s teacher. From Brightspace Parent & Guardian, you can see your child’s:
- classroom activity feed,
- grade items and grade feedback from instructors,
- upcoming assignments,
- portfolio evidence, and
depending on which of the program functions are specifically used by your child’s teacher.
Brightspace for Students is where teachers share updates, calendar reminders and learning materials with students. Compatible with Google, it also allows students to submit assignments, complete quizzes, and see grades and teacher feedback. The Pulse app for students is associated with Brightspace for Students.
SchoolMessenger is the system the Division and schools use to send email and phone communication to families. The contact information in SchoolMessenger is populated from PowerSchool. Through SchoolMessenger, families can:
- receive general, emergency and attendance messages by phone, email or both; and
- manage their subscription preferences for these types of messages.
In-House Scholarships for 2023
Deadline to submit your name is March 3, 2023
Grade 12 In House Scholarships
Info Night - Discover CUE
Thursday, March 9, 2023 | 5:00 pm to 7:30 pm
See the opportunities that await! Create a big future at our small campus. This event will be in person on campus as well as live-streamed.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- Grade 11 students can apply now for Fall 2024 through our Jump Start program.
- Grade 12 students who have already applied.
- Grade 12 students who are undecided; applications are open for Fall 2023 until June 30, Winter 2024 applications now open.
- Family, supporters, counsellors, and anyone interested in finding out more about CUE!
WHY SHOULD STUDENTS ATTEND?
- Application fee will be waived – Admission Advisors will be on hand to assist with the online application (fee waived for domestic students only)
- Registration Advisors will also be on hand to assist Fall 2023 admitted students with registration in courses.
- Faculty presentations from the Deans and in-person booth fair; live stream link will be emailed ahead of time and available on our event webpage https://concordia.ab.ca/infonight
- Campus tour!
CHHA Scholarship Program
Are you a student with a hearing loss and entering full-time studies in September 2023? Take advantage of the Canadian Hard of Hearing Association’s (CHHA) Scholarship Program. The online application format saves you time and effort: only one application needs to be filled out to apply for any of the six scholarships CHHA has to offer, including two new scholarships added in 2022.
Scholarships are open to anyone with a hearing loss who will be enrolled in a full-time program in a post-secondary institution next September. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the CHHA National Website. The deadline to apply is April 20. Application form
Minister’s Youth Council 2023-24
If you had a direct line to the minister, what would you say? Are you interested in sharing your ideas to help shape Alberta’s education system? Applications for the 2023-24 Minister’s Youth Council are open now. Approximately 40 junior and senior high school students between the ages of 14 and 19 with diverse interests, identities, backgrounds and perspectives from across Alberta will be selected for the council.
The deadline to apply is March 24.
Kickstand Connect - Virtual Mental Health Clinic
Kickstand Connect offers a virtual walk-in clinic with trained professionals and a safe space for group sessions, exclusively for young Albertans aged 12-25 and their parents or caregivers. It is a free online portal and mobile app where young people can virtually ‘walk in’ or pre-book appointments (up to a week in advance) with a mental health professional, peer support worker, employment specialist or participate in group activities and workshops. Based on a single session model, Kickstand Connect offers various walk-in and pre-booked services, none of which require a healthcare card, referral, or any form of payment.
Caregiver Series: February Sessions
Alberta Health Services offers free online programming for parents and caregivers of children and youth. Sessions are offered through Zoom. Upcoming topics include parenting strategies for positive mental health and understanding self-injury. The list of February 2023 sessions is now available.
Alberta Health Services Addiction and Mental Health Newsletter
New AHS Respiratory Assessment Tool
Join in a morning of fun and learning at Newcomer Mornings! Held every Thursday, Newcomer Mornings feature two events:
- Conversation Circle: Practice your English for free through conversation with others. From 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
- Newcomer Connector: Connect with other newcomers and learn about community resources. From 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
For more information, contact FamilyResourceNetwork@strathcona.ca or visit strathcona.ca/families.