The Family Zone
Lectionary-Based Playlist /Issue 30/October 25, 2020
"You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
SUNDAY READINGS: https://bible.usccb.org/bible/readings/102520.cfm
- Maybe I can Love My Neighbor Too by Jennifer Grant
- Colorfull: Celebrating the Colors God Gave Us! by Dorena Williamson
- The Can Man by Laura E. Williams
- Malala: My Story of Standing Up for Girls' Rights by Malala by Malala Yousafzi
Parent Article: Click on the links below to learn more and about and read the U.S. Bishops' Pastoral Letter against racism: "Open Wide Our Hearts"
For Teens: Explore these two interactive websites to better understand the topic of RACE:
- Write a short story that tells of a way one neighbor showed love and compassion to another
- List all the human rights you think we have or should have; do you think there are people in the world who don't enjoy these same rights? Have a family conversation about it!
- Be a force of change. Do you see an injustice in the world where our neighbors aren't loved? Write a family letter to your local politician asking for change.
- October is RESPECT LIFE MONTH. Use the worksheet below to guide you in coming up with ways you can honor human dignity by respecting ALL life
- Read this prayer for life and dignity: https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/prayers-and-devotions/prayers/prayer-for-life-and-dignity
- Plan a family prayer night for human dignity using this prayer service: https://oppeace.org/blog/2018/05/25/prayer-uplifting-human-dignity/
- Pray this prayer together from CRS:
Use these free apps to help your children learn more about the world; find them in your app store:
- WHO AM I? Race Awareness Game This game breaks open important conversations about who "NEIGHBOR" is great for elementary and middle school Click here
- Kids World Atlas https://apps.apple.com/us/app/kids-world-atlas/id914937512
- Global Kid https://www.theglobalkid.org/
- Play some international games with your kids:
- Show kindness to creation by building a birdfeeder together before snow comes!
- Try these role plays together that help build compassion: https://meaningfulmama.com/day-339-compassion-role-playing.html
- Make this stained glass cutout: https://meaningfulmama.com/love-one-another-craft-awana-cubbies-bear-hug-15.html