Then and influence now
The first Roman bath-houses were built in the 2nd century BC. They were for men only.By the time of Augustus there were 170 privately owned bath-houses. In AD 20, the first state owned baths opened.They were sophisticated building with heating and plumbing systems.
Inside the baths
- The baths were public, so all kinds of people were there
The rooms were hot and steamy.
- There were cold, warm, and hot pools.
- Men and women went to separate baths.
- Slaves worked in the baths, oiling and massaging people.
- They used scented olive oil to rub into the skin. The baths contained mosaics, large marble columns, and statues.